Fruit bagging technology in litchi gaining opularit
Published: 11:34 AM, 28 May 2019 Updated: 03:56 PM, 28 May 2019
After a remarkable success in mango and guava, fruit bagging technology has started gaining popularity in another delicious and tasty fruit litchi in Rajshahi region for the last couple of years.
Only in Lalpur Upazila, 50,000 mangoes and litchis were brought under the fruit bagging technology this season aims at producing and exporting poison-free and safe fruit commercially.
In last year, Kamruzzaman Lavlu, 46, a farmer of Bijoypur village had attained success after bagging 32,000 mangoes on ten bighas of orchards.
As a result of his success, he bagged 35,000 mangoes and 15,000 litchis on 10 bighas of land this year that encourages many of his fellow farmers to adopt the modern technology for producing chemical-free fruit.
Jasim Uddin, a farmer of Matia Beel area under Paba Upazila, has also promoted the bagging technology in a 15-year tree this year as per suggestions of the local office of Director of Department of Agriculture Extension (DAE) and Fruit Research Centre.
He said yield has been enhanced to a greater extent. He also witnessed bigger size besides deep red colour. He had purchased bag at Taka 3.5 per piece and kept 25 to 30 litchis in each bag. He harvested 4,000 bulbs from the tree last year whereas this year’s yield is more than 6,000. No immature fruit drop was occurred from the tree by storm as a result of using fruit bagging technology that also prevents attacks and damages by rodents contributes a lot to boost yield.
As the fruits were protected inside bag its size and colour was attractive. These litchis are hundred percent chemical free, asserted Jasim Uddin. Detailing his personal experience and expertise he said before expansion among the farmers he used the technology by himself.
Bagged litchis can be preserved in tree 10 to 15 days more than conventional method which is helpful of getting extra market price.
Monzurul Haque, Additional Deputy Director of DAE, said the farmers are being habituated to using modern technology. He added that many of the farmers attained success through using bagging technology.
DAE will replicate the success in the years ahead, Agriculturist Monzurul added.
Dr Alim Uddin, Principal Scientific Officer of Fruit Research Station, said fruit bagging technology is used in litchi production only in Ishwardi Upazila of Pabna, but now more other farmers will be inspired to use the technology witnessing success of the farmers in this regard.
He says there are huge litchi orchards of different ages and varieties on some two lakh hectares in the region. Recent years, many more new orchards also developed. If the bags were used substantially, use of harmful chemical insecticides and pesticides could be reduced to a greater extent.
Bagged fruits had high recovery of marketable fruits over the non-bagged ones. Dr Alim adds pre-harvest fruit bagging is a useful approach for plant protection and improved post-harvest fruit quality as bagging of litchi for lower insect and disease damage in fruits.
In this field, the technology has created a high hope among the growers and traders towards removing the menace. If the technology was used, there will be no spot on litchi in the bagged ones.
Besides, the fruit could be protected from all kinds of diseases and pests that will boost the volume of exportable litchi.
Apart from this, as the market price of the bagged litchi is lucrative the growers can sell their produce in high price, fruit researcher Dr Alim added. BSS
- Malinga set to retire after 1st Bangladesh ODI
- Mithun, Mushfiqur star as Bangladesh win warm-up
- Quader orders to repair flood-hit roads before Eid
- Blackout forced 4m Venezuelan to leave country
- Renu`s brother heartbreaking status
- Boris Johnson to be next UK PM
- Chairmanship odds in JP: Rowshan`s ambiguous state
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- How to get HSC result
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Humanity for animal !
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case