British envoy meets Dr Kamal
Published: 10:36 AM, 20 November 2018 Updated: 10:36 AM, 20 November 2018
Jatiya Oikyafront chief Dr Kamal Hossain and British High Commissioner in Dhaka Alison Blake
British High Commissioner in Dhaka Alison Blake met Jatiya Oikyafront chief Dr Kamal Hossain on Monday evening and discussed various issues relating to the upcoming general election and the country's overall situation.
The hour-long meeting was held at Dr Kamal Hossain's Bailey Road residence.
However, the British envoy did not talk to the media about the outcome of the meeting.
Talking to reporters about the meeting, Dr Kamal said they talked about the country's overall situation, especially the next nation election.
He said they also discussed the 2014 election and the election of 154 MPs unopposed at that time.
The Oikyafront leader said the government seems to be unwilling to hold a fair and competitive election this time as well.
He also said a free and fair election is not possible under the current government. "The government itself is joining the election race. So, it can't play the role of a referee. A player can't play the role of a referee at the same time."
Dr Kamal, also the president of Gano Forum, also alleged that the administration is also not working neutrally.
He said the proper election atmosphere is yet to be created in the country as the opposition activists are being arrested and implicated in various cases.
Dr Kamal, however, said they will not boycott the election, no matter what.
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Trump walks out on Democrats in fury over Russia probe
- Aspirin `safe` for brain-bleed strokes
- Why N Korea called Biden an `imbecile`
- Record groundnut output makes farmers happy
- Two electrocuted in Bagerhat
- Voting on suspended 5 upazila on June 18
- Both BPL football matches end in draw
- Formation of the moon brought water to Earth
- Indo-Bangla ties to remain same whoever elected in India: Quader
- Saudi to execute 3 prominent scholars after Ramadan
- BB enhances usance period for raw materials import
- India’s EC rejects ballot tampering allegation
- US to legalize human composting
- Double duty to deject rice import
- HC for installation of fire extinguishers in all motor vehicles
- PM instructed to probe ‘fire in paddy field’
- Mashrafe leaves Dhaka to join team in England
- Shemai maker busy before Eid in Dinajpur
- Shakib reclaims top spot in ODI all-rounder rankings
- Bengal tiger number rises in Sundarbans
- Pakistani children worst affected in HIV outbreak
- Du’a of Intent to Fast and Breaking it
- `Papaya Juice` in Iftar
- UN to honor 12 Bangladeshi peacekeepers
- HC expressed anger over Greenline’s apathy
- Six dead in Indonesia post-election unrest
- Highest power generation recorded
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader returns home this evening
- Quader to join his office today
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- President reaches London
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Tk 76 lakh needed for testing Wasa water
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Today’s sports on TV
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina prayed like mother: Quader
- Saudi Arabia to provide PR green card