Four killed in California backyard shooting: police
Published: 07:25 PM, 18 November 2019
Four people were shot dead and six others wounded while watching a football game in the backyard of a central California home on Sunday, police said.
Police were called to the scene after at least one person opened fire into a crowd of about 35 people gathered outside the house in Fresno, around 200 miles (320 kilometers) north of Los Angeles.
“Three people died on scene,” Fresno deputy police Chief Michael Reed told reporters, adding that a fourth was rushed to hospital in critical condition and succumbed to his injuries there.
All four of the dead and the six treated for “non-life-threatening” gunshot wounds were men aged between 25 and 35, Reed said. “Our heart goes out to the families of the victims… this is senseless violence, he added.
“We are doing everything we can to bring the perpetrators to justice.” Reed said it was unclear how many perpetrators had been involved in the shooting and that there was “no indication” the incident was gang-related.
Police spokesman Bill Dooley said officers were looking for surveillance footage and witnesses to track the suspects.
He said the victims were a group of family and friends who had gathered at the residence to watch a football match.
Fresno councillor Luis Chavez, who represents the district where the shooting took place, said the incident was “not a reflection of our community.”
“Our officers are working diligently to piece together the sequence of events that led up to this, but more importantly to bring all those involved to justice,” he said, in comments reported by the Fresno Bee newspaper.
Shootings are a frequent occurrence in the United States, but despite the scale of the gun violence problem in the country, efforts to address it legislatively have long been largely deadlocked at the federal level.
- No compromise with anti-liberation forces’
- AL, front orgs pay tributes to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- Protests over India`s citizenship law on 5th day
- Indonesia hits EU over palm oil case
- Obesity, undernourishment stalks world: report
- Asian markets struggle for traction, dealers await trade details
- 4 bodies identified burnt in Gazipur fan factory fire
- 1st ever Global Refugee Forum begins in Geneva
- 28 houses gutted in Rampura fire
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Victory Day
- President, PM pay rich tributes to martyrs on Victory Day
- Tigers’ wishes on Victory Day
- Millions of people pay tribute to the nation`s best children
- Victory Day today
- Hetmyer, Hope power Windies to 8-wicket over India
- Bowlers, Labuschagne fire Australia to easy win
- Boko Haram kill 19 Nigeria herders in clashes
- Tigers focus firmly on Test cricket amid BBPL festivity
- Housewife’s hanging body recovered in Ctg
- 6 dead in protests against Indian citizenship law
- 24 killed in DR Congo gold mine collapse
- Abid first to score Test and ODI hundreds on debut
- Bubly’s ‘Casino’ Challenge
- Foreign Friends of 1971
- Katabon Market catches fire
- Young found dead in Faridpur
- Tk 200 note to hit market soon
- Gazipur fan factory fire kills 10
- Govt working to make armed forces more modern: PM
- Hasan urges foreign journos to project Bangladesh dev
- All News »
- Bangladeshi student secures top position in Bar at law
- Andrew Kishore dies; what the next
- Myanmar state counselor titles ‘Rohingya genocide’ as minor issue
- Srijit-Mithila’s honeymoon picture goes viral
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Rohingyas’ acute detest on Myanmar
- Musician, vocalist Prithwi Raj passes away
- Ethiopian PM Abiy Ahmed receives Nobel Peace Prize
- Myanmar admits the army used excessive force on Rohingya
- Rights groups call for Myanmar boycott
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- ‘Brutal massacre of Myanmar against Rohingya should be stopped’
- At top court, Myanmar urged to `stop genocide of own people`
- ‘Myanmar’s Rohingya repatriation promise a fraudulent act’
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- 500-yr-old eggs found unbroken in Chinese tomb
- Just 3 days ‘Tui Ki Amar Hobi Re’ crossed 1 million
- Chattogram Challengers unveiled Jersey
- US tightens sanctions on Myanmar army chief
- Roxette singer Marie Fredriksson dies, aged 61
- Myanmar army chief’s Facebook account suspended
- Myanmar fails to provide evidence to defend genocide charge
- Padma Bridge 2.7-km visible now
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- Cardi B returns to court over strip club brawl allegations
- Air ticket at Tk 16 on Dec 16!
- Chile military plane disappears with 38 aboard
- Sanna Marin, world’s youngest-serving PM
- Gambia details mass rapes, killings in Myanmar
- 11 Australians missing in New Zealand eruption