Formulate nat’l guideline to prevent recurrence of suicide: HC
Published: 09:56 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 09:56 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court on Tuesday ordered the formation of a five-member committee, headed by the additional education secretary, to look into the suicide of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College Aritree Adhikari and formulate a national guideline to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.
The HC order says there should be a lawyer, a psychologist, a former judge and a Social Welfare Ministry official of deputy secretary rank in the committee.
The committee has been asked to submit two reports within a month. It should submit a report on the reason behind the suicide of the schoolgirl and other with recommendations to prevent the recurrence of such incident in the future and formulate the national guideline.
The court also issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain why directives should not be given to formulate national guidelines detailing ways to prevent suicides like that of Aritree Adhikari.
The education secretary and three others have been made respondents to the rule which is returnable in four weeks.
The HC bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader came up with the suo moto order and rule after four lawyers, including Barrister Jotirmoy Barua, brought the matter to their notice placing reports published in different newspapers.
Earlier, another HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Rajik-Al-Jalil observed that the suicide of the schoolgirl is heart-rending and termed the insulting of her parents a ‘very bad example’.
The lawyer, barrister Sayedul Haque Sumon, presented the reports on the suicide published in different newspapers before the HC bench and sought its directives.
The court asked the lawyer to file a writ petition attaching the newspaper reports with it.
Aritree Adhikari, 15, daughter of Dilip Adhikari, and a Class-IX student of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College, committed suicide at their Shantinagar residence in the city on Monday after teachers rebuked her and her parents for using mobile phone during examination.
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- Fire at Chawkbazar plastic factory; burnt 10, injured 39
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- Nation pays homage to language martyrs
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Australian minister Karin Kneissl calls on President
- We`re `well on our way` to discover Alien Life: NASA Chief
- BCL, JCD didn’t collect form yet
- Beach nobody can touch
- Women MP’s pay tribute to Bangabandhu
- Build country with Ekushey spirit: PM
- Putin warns US with new missiles
- Solari and Florentino Perez meet for over two hours
- ‘Barnamalar Michhil’ on screen for spell aware
- Ctg port ranks 70th among world’s 100 top ports
- N Korea`s US envoy arrives in Hanoi
- Most clean air in Barishal city
- Krishi Bank`s 6 ex-officials sent to jail
- College girl abducted in Companiganj
- 5 burnt as bus catches fire in Dhanmondi
- Three MPs quit Tory party
- Tisha to chat with audience tonight
- ‘Demand for Jamaat’s apology is rational’
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak
- Civilians evacuated from last IS enclave
- 600 students got Schoolbag in Thakurgaon
- Niko graft hearing March 3
- May heads back to Brussels
- Trump to sell Saudi Arabia Nucl Tech
- Jordan demand expulsion of Israeli envoy
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Barrister Razzaq resigns from Jamaat
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- Man killed in truck-pickup collision in Malibag
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan