Formulate nat’l guideline to prevent recurrence of suicide: HC
Published: 09:56 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 09:56 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court on Tuesday ordered the formation of a five-member committee, headed by the additional education secretary, to look into the suicide of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College Aritree Adhikari and formulate a national guideline to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.
The HC order says there should be a lawyer, a psychologist, a former judge and a Social Welfare Ministry official of deputy secretary rank in the committee.
The committee has been asked to submit two reports within a month. It should submit a report on the reason behind the suicide of the schoolgirl and other with recommendations to prevent the recurrence of such incident in the future and formulate the national guideline.
The court also issued a rule asking the authorities concerned to explain why directives should not be given to formulate national guidelines detailing ways to prevent suicides like that of Aritree Adhikari.
The education secretary and three others have been made respondents to the rule which is returnable in four weeks.
The HC bench of Justice FRM Nazmul Ahasan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader came up with the suo moto order and rule after four lawyers, including Barrister Jotirmoy Barua, brought the matter to their notice placing reports published in different newspapers.
Earlier, another HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Rajik-Al-Jalil observed that the suicide of the schoolgirl is heart-rending and termed the insulting of her parents a ‘very bad example’.
The lawyer, barrister Sayedul Haque Sumon, presented the reports on the suicide published in different newspapers before the HC bench and sought its directives.
The court asked the lawyer to file a writ petition attaching the newspaper reports with it.
Aritree Adhikari, 15, daughter of Dilip Adhikari, and a Class-IX student of Viqarunnisa Noon School and College, committed suicide at their Shantinagar residence in the city on Monday after teachers rebuked her and her parents for using mobile phone during examination.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized