Formulate a plan together to prevent money laundering: Mustafa Kamal
Published: 08:00 PM, 17 November 2019 Updated: 08:03 PM, 17 November 2019
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal urged the world community to work together for preventing money laundering and terrorist financing.
He said this today while speaking as the chief guest at a seminar on “National Strategy for Prevention of Money Laundering and Combating Financing of Terrorism 2019-2021”; jointly organized by Foreign Affairs Ministry, Financial Institutions Division of the Finance Ministry, Bangladesh Bank and Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU) at Hotel Intercontinental of the capital.
“We want to live in a peaceful world. Money laundering is a serious threat. I request the world community, let us join hands together, let us formulate a plan together to prevent money laundering as it is the right moment,” Kamal said.
For various reasons, Mustafa Kamal said, Bangladesh is at serious threat for money laundering. “Our government is putting all-out efforts considering the threat factors. The whole world has to be united, otherwise the initiative of a particular country will not be effective,” he added.
State Minister for Foreign Affairs Shahriar Alam attended the seminar as the special guest while Bangladesh Bank Governor Fazle Kabir moderated it.
Addressing the money laundering and terrorist financing as a global challenge, Shahriar Alam said, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has announced ‘Zero Tolerance’ against corruption and so, the government has formulated the Money Laundering Prevention Act.
“I believe, proper implementation of international standards and best practices by engaging all relevant stakeholders, including international bodies will help Bangladesh to play leading role within the region and global community in fighting money laundering, terrorist financing and financing proliferation of weapons of mass destruction,” he added.
Fazle Kabir said deep coordination among all ministries, agencies, and departments will prevent money laundering and terrorist financing.
Among others, Senior Secretary of the Financial Institutions Division Md. Ashadul Islam, National Board of Revenue (NBR) Chairman Md Mosharraf Hossain Bhuiyan, Chairman of the Anti-Corruption Commission Iqbal Mahmood and Additional Inspector General of Police (IGP) Chowdhury Abdullah Al Mamun spoke on the occasion.
- India faces Windies in 1st T20 today
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Cinematographer Mahfuzur Rahman passes away
- Covered van-microbus collision kills 3 in Tangail
- Kurigram Freedom Day tomorrow
- Storm over new black hole issue
- China to invest $9.11m in Adamjee EPZ
- Portugal resists US appeal to bar Huawei from 5G network bid
- Anyone can donate kidney on humanitarian ground: HC
- Gazipur spinning mill fire doused
- ICAB arranges programme on business leadership
- France shuts down: Mass strike hits trains, Eiffel Tower
- House will draft Trump impeachment articles, Pelosi says
- Sun yields its secrets to Parker Solar Probe
- DMP detained 49 in anti-narcotics drive
- ‘Government will take legal action against chaos in court’
- 9 killed in India’s Madhya Pradesh
- College girl dies in Gazipur train accident
- ACC recovers 125 sacks of rice in Cumilla
- E-Passport to be introduced on Dec 15: Momen
- 50 Yrs of naming ‘Bangladesh`
- Vice chairman’s three-storey house demolished
- 2 arrested with firearms in Rupganj
- 1 in 8 afford out for nutritious diet: Report
- 4 killed in Poland gas blast, 4 missing
- Bangladesh beats Sri Lanka
- NBR’s extensive prog to observe VAT DAY, VAT Week
- Do not waste the environment in courtroom; says CJ
- Youth killed at in-law’s house after love-marriage
- Suhrawardy`s death anniv observed
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Mohammed Rezwan, floating school innovator named as ‘Earth Hero’
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- ‘No Dorai’ released at 8 halls
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Trump makes surprise visit to Afghanistan
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- 7 dead in small plane crash in Canada
- Adequate vegetables in market, onion prices still not fall
- Shaon in bridal dress!
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Video app TikTok unblocks teen who posted on China`s Muslims
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- PM flies to Spain on Sunday to join COP25
- Truck loaded with 40-ton onion missing
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Salman Khan sunken in Afghan beauty