Saif SC reach quarterfinals as group champions
Published: 08:24 PM, 5 November 2018 Updated: 08:24 PM, 5 November 2018
Saif Sporting Club emerged Group B champions with all-win record to qualify for the quarterfinals of the season's curtain-raiser soccer meet, Walton Federation Cup Football Tournament, crushing Brothers Union Club by huge 5-0 goals at the Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Monday afternoon.
Saif SC will play the 2nd quarterfinal on Friday (Nov 9) against the runners-up of Group D which is yet to be decided.
With the day's feat, Saif SC clinched the group title securing full six points from straight two matches after beating Team BJMC 3-1 in the group opener while Team BJMC also qualified for the quarterfinals as group runners-up beating all-losers Brother Union Club 3-2 in their first match.
In the day's one-sided affairs, South Korea forward Park played an entertaining football all through the match displaying his brilliance and played an important role in the team's comfortable victory.
Russian forward Denis struck twice, Rahmat Miah, Javed Khan and Sajjad Hossain scored one each for the Saif Sporting Club, which clearly dominated the first half by 3-0 goals.
Rahmat Miah opened the floodgate for Saif SC in the 13th minute by a powerful shot from outside the box, off a pass of Colombian defender Daniel (1-0).
Javed Khan doubled the Saif SC margin in the 31st minute by a light header from close when Brothers Custodian Sujon failed to grip an attempt Korean booter Park (2-0).
Russian forward Danish scored the 3rd goal in the 40th minute, utilising a minus of Korean player maker Park (3-0).
Medio Sajjad further widened the Saif SC margin in the 83rd minute by pushing the ball home, capitalising on a Nasir pass (4-0) while Russian forward Denis sealed the fate of the match scoring his 2nd and the 5th goal for Saif SC in the stoppage time of the last half (5-0).
- Washington declares ‘Bangladesh Day’ today
- Schoolgirl killed as leguna fell into ditch in Cumilla
- Obaidul Quader shifted to cabin from ICU
- Rain or thundershowers with gusty wind likely
- Google doodle celebrates Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Barca wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- La Liga wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Independence Day
- President, PM pays homage to Liberation War heroes
- Nation celebrating 49th Independence Day
- Build advance country being imbued with patriotism: PM
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- All News »
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- PM hands over Independence Award