Former Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood dies
Published: 04:36 PM, 28 December 2018 Updated: 04:36 PM, 28 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Former Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood has died at the age of 82.
He became chairman in 1982 and presided over the appointments of George Graham and Arsene Wenger as managers and they won five league titles, five FA Cups, the League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup between them.
Ill health forced Hill-Wood to step down from the position in June 2013.
Arsenal say he was also "instrumental" in the successful move from Highbury to Emirates Stadium in 2006.
He is survived by his wife Sally and three children Sarah, Julian and Charles.
Hill-Wood joined the Arsenal board in August 1962 and became chairman following the death of his father Denis.
With Graham as manager, between 1986 and 1995, Hill-Wood saw the Gunners win two league titles, the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup.
That was followed by success under Arsene Wenger, who was appointed in 1996, when Arsenal claimed three Premier League titles and four FA Cups. The Premier League title win in 2003/04 came on the back of an unprecedented unbeaten season for the Gunners.
Hill-Wood was succeeded by Sir Chips Keswick five years ago.
A club statement said on Friday: "Peter and his family's influence on the club cannot be understated, but at this most difficult time for his family and friends, it is Peter the man who we remember with great fondness."
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Pakistan face New Zealand this afternoon
- 2 killed in Lalmonirhat road crash
- Two killed as bus falls into M`singh ditch
- College girl Phulon Rani dies
- DIG Mizan suspended
- 13 burnt in Patia gas cylinder blast
- Australia beat England by 64 runs
- Speedy Trial Act for more 5 yrs
- New galaxy discovered by Muslim Astrophysicist!
- IU resumes evening courses
- Cumilla University unveils Tk 42-cr budget
- New evidence on the reliability of climate modeling
- Sun`s history found buried in Moon`s crust
- Textile minister assures to restart all shattered mills
- Actress Bubli critically injured
- Convince Myanmar to take Rohingyas back: PM to China
- Hajj flight begins July 4
- Bangladesh denounces Houthi attack on Saudi airport
- Astral relics of 5,000 yrs old discovered in China
- Bangladesh now at sole height’s political stability: Speaker in IMF meet
- England’s slack batting before destructive Australia
- Australia set a target of 286 for England
- No harmful contents in pasteurized milk brands, BSTI to HC
- JP-led govt will be formed in future: GM Quader
- Army Chief to visit United Nations Peacekeeping Mission
- Dementia risk tied to common drugs
- Momen sought Beijing’s support to convince Myanmar
- Action against govt officials if drug addict: HM
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway