Former PM’s son dies in Algeria
Published: 09:24 PM, 2 March 2019
The son of Algeria's first prime minister has died while taking part in a protest against President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's bid for a fifth term in office, a government official and a family member said on Saturday.
Interior Minister Noureddine Bedoui identified the man as Hassan Benkhedda, a son of the late Benyoucef Benkhedda, who took power after the country gained independence from France in 1962.
"The forensic medical investigations will clarify causes and circumstances of his death," the minister said in a tweet.
Benkhedda, believed to be in his 50s, was killed in a clash between police and "thugs unrelated to the protesters," the minister said in a separate statement online.
In a Facebook post, Salim Benkhedda said that his brother Hassan had participated in the mass protests near the presidential palace in central Algiers on Friday and blamed what he called the "ruling gang and its thugs" for the death.
The death is the first to happen in protests that erupted more than a week ago against Bouteflika's plan to run in next month's presidential election.
Many Algerians believe Bouteflika is unfit to hold the presidency. The 81-year-old suffered a stroke in 2013 and is rarely seen in public.
Nevertheless, his campaign manager said this week that Bouteflika would submit his candidacy documents for the April 18 election on Sunday, the final day for registration.
On Friday, tens of thousands of Algerians took to the streets in several parts of the country against Bouteflika's re-election plan.
Some 56 policemen were injured during the protests and around 45 protesters were arrested, according to a security agency.
In a statement carried by the Algerian state television, the security general directorate said that seven people were also injured.
Algerian authorities have said they will be making a major announcement concerning the protests on Saturday evening.
- Remove Mithila, Fahmi’s personal photos from online platforms: HC
- 431 IU ‘B’ unit seats remain vacant
- Dengue rules Lakmal out of Pakistan Tests
- BJSC-BUP Sangsad Pres Soumik, GS Kona
- Iran says new budget bucks US oil embargo, uses Russian loan
- Cleansing operation must succeed
- Bangladesh create history securing 14 golds
- 2 killed in Jhenaidah
- Application for admission begins in SAU
- Bangladesh out of title race
- NBR Chairman hopes for 20pc revenue growth
- ‘E-TIN holders to be forced for return submission’
- Ten cattle stolen in one night
- Mahmudullah doubtful in BBPL opener
- BPL inaugural ceremony kicks off
- WI opt to bowl against India
- PM distributes National Film Awards
- Motorcyclist killed in Dinajpur road crash
- Drug dealer detained in Gazipur
- 40 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Nantie Hayward named as Sylhet Thunder’s bowling coach
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Bangladesh U-23 team lost to Sri Lanka
- 20 killed in Syria air strikes
- Export trade closed for 6 hours at Benapole
- Lemon-tamarind pomfret fish fry
- Light to moderate fog likely
- Attacking trio of PSG inspire late comeback
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- Tigresses clinch gold in SA games
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Salman Khan sunken in Afghan beauty
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Remittance inflow increases by 31.75pc in November
- Nepal`s mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry