Formal trial of Holey Artisan begins
Published: 05:19 PM, 3 December 2018 Updated: 05:19 PM, 3 December 2018
The formal trial in the sensational Holey Artisan cafe attack case began on Monday with the deposition of a prosecution witness before a tribunal.
Dhaka Anti-terrorism Special Tribunal Judge Mohammad Mujibur Rahman partially recorded the testimony of Ripon Kumar Das and adjourned the recording of deposition for Tuesday.
After framing charges against eight ‘militants’ in the case, the tribunal on November 26 fixed December 3 for recording the statements of witnesses in the case.
Of the eight accused, six are now in jail while two others have been on the run. ]
The six accused are Jahangir Alam alias Rajib Gandhi, Mahmudul Hasan Mijan, Sohel Mahfuz, Rashidul Islam alias Ryash, Boro Mijan, and Hadisur Rahman Sagor.
The two absconding accused are Mamunur Rashid Ripon and Shariful Islam Khaled.
On July 23, police pressed charges against eight alleged militants in the Holey Artisan cafe attack case.
Hasnat Karim, a North South University teacher who was one of the hostages and later detained, was acquitted of the charges since there was no evidence of his complicity with the attack, according to the police.
The terrorist attack that shattered the country and drew global attention, claimed lives of 22 people -- nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian, one Bangladeshi-born American and two Bangladeshis along with two police officers -- on July 1, 2016.
Twenty-one people were identified to be behind the attack. Among them, 13 were killed in gunfights at different times.
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’