Foreign observers, journos to get all support from EC
Published: 07:44 PM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 07:44 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Election Commission (EC) is set to lend all possible support to foreign observers and journalists who came here to monitor the 11th parliamentary election, Secretary of Election Commission (EC) Secretariat Helal Uddin Ahmed said.
“We will give all possible support to foreign observers and journalists for monitoring and covering the polls to be held tomorrow (Sunday),” he said this while briefing foreign observers and journalists about the polls at Sonargaon Hotel in the city today.
He said the EC allowed 160 foreign observers and journalists for monitoring and presenting news on the national elections, while 25,900 local observers have been allowed along with journalists to cover the election in the country.
“We have taken all-out measures to hold the general election peacefully and all equipment including ballot papers and voter lists having photographs has been sent to polling centers,” he said, adding that a guideline was sent to them (foreign observers and journalists).
Helal Uddin said a total of 1,861 candidates are set to contest in 300 constituencies in the parliamentary election and 39 parties joined in the polls, adding, “A total of 6,08,000 polling stations have been set up across the country.”
During the briefing foreign secretary Md Shahidul Haque, Principal Information Officer Kamrun Nahar, additional secretary of EC Moklesur Rahman and officials concerned were present.
Replying to a query of Indian observer Kamal Phattacharya, foreign secretary said the foreign ministry has set up a coordination cell for international observers and journalists to provide relevant information on polls.
Earlier, a power point presentation was screened on EC, National Parliament, electoral activities and other related issues.
According to the PID media center information, Foreign missions based in Dhaka and accredited to observe the election include the USA, the UK, Greece, Ireland, Japan, France, Germany, Canada, Switzerland and Denmark.
It said some 56 foreign journalists and media personnel are also set to cover the election. A good number of them are already in Bangladesh while many others are on way to Dhaka, it added.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today