Fishermen catching shrimp minnows in River
Insisted by influential`s loan
Published: 03:46 PM, 23 May 2019 Updated: 03:47 PM, 23 May 2019
Fishermen in Lakshmipur are fishing shrimp minnows in the Meghna River violating the government prohibition. Millions carps of various species are being destroyed in this.
Fishermen are spoiling thousands of species of fish for collecting shrimp minnows. As a result, various species of fishes including lobster and prawn are facing threat of extinction as well as biodiversity is being destroyed in Meghna. The locals have alleged that the fishermen are catching shrimp minnows in public but the concerned authorities are not taking any action.
On 21st September 2000, a notification by the Ministry of Fisheries and Livelihood prohibited the fishing carps in the coastal areas of the country.
It is learnt that, violating the government prohibition fishing of shrimp minnow is running in the Meghna River’s Maju Chowdhury Ghat and Buriri Ghat area under Lakhsmipur Sadar, Matirhat, Matabbarhat, Saheberhat and Ludhua Ghat of Kamalnagar Upazila, various Ghat areas of Meghna River under Raipur upazila and across the wide range of Meghna revering areas under Gazaria of Ramgati upazila.
Due to the illegal carp collection, Geo-bags used for protecting river dams in Kamal Nagar area in the Lakshmipur are being damaged. And it may cause a severe dam collapse in this area.
It’s learnt that, giving loan money, few local influential pursuing the fishermen to catch those carps. Violating government's ban, shrimp minnows business is going on in public on the banks of the river. Allegations also found against the influential people that, they are helping to cross trucks of shrimp minnows in exchange for money at night.
Every lobster-shrimp minnow is sold at Tk 1-2 in the local market. Fishermen are becoming more enthusiastic for hunting carps getting advanced loans.
Carp hunter Ajmat Ali, Kala Mia and Moti Begum said that having no employment opportunity, being forced to catch prawn minnows for their living despite the ban.
Shrimp carp businessman Sharif, said that, after buying from the local fishermen at one taka per piece, they sell those minnows to the shrimp enclosure owners in different districts of Khulna.
District Fisheries Officer SM Mahib Ulaya said that they are running various activities, including drives and continuous campaign to stop shrimp hunters in Meghna shrimp sanctuary.
- FR Tower corruption: ACC’s case accusing Ex-RAJUK chair among 25
- PM’s good news for Tigers
- Brian Lara hospitalized after chest pain
- Who responsible for collapsed bridges?
- Exemption with financial benefit by SI
- All pasteurised milk including Pran-Milk Vita-Arong adulterated
- Holey Artisan attack case: Five more policemen testify
- England wins toss, bowl first
- ECNEC clears 10 projects
- PM orders to quick repair of shaky bridges
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Owners of 31 brick kilns sued
- Writ files to correct mistakes on English 2nd paper
- Suman in HC seeking ban on unnecessary C-section
- Six Killed as bus falls into ditch in India
- Heat wave may abate some places
- JSS activist shot dead in Bandarban
- Elderly man dies as 90kg man falls on him
- US hits Iran’s supreme leader Khamenei with sanctions
- Australia-England high voltage match today
- 3 human traffickers killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Probe report submission deferred again
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties