Father appears in court with bodies of 2 newborns...

Dhaka, Thursday   21 January 2021

3 hospitals refused to treatment of the twins

Father appears in court with bodies of 2 newborns

 Staff Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 03:50 PM, 2 November 2020   Updated: 05:22 PM, 2 November 2020

Representational Photo

Representational Photo

A father of two newborns appeared in court on Sunday demanding justice as his children died for lack of treatment being refused by three hospitals.

A high court bench of Justice Md. Nazrul Islam and Justice Ahmed Sohel passed an order asking the three hospitals to explain why they were not admitted setting a deadline of 48hrs. Three hospitals are Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU), Dhaka Shishu (Children) Hospital, and Islami Bank Hospital, Mugda.

After the death of the children, the father of the twin newborn, an MLSS of the Supreme Court Md. Abul Kalam Azad came to the court premises with the bodies. Then the High Court bench of Justice Md Nazrul Islam Talukder and Justice Ahmed Sohail passed the order. The rule seeks to know why the inactivity of defendants in medical negligence would not be illegal.

Deputy Attorney General AKM Amin Uddin Manik said Saira Khatun, wife of Mohammad Abul Kalam Azad, gave birth of twins in an auto-rickshaw on her way to Islami Bank Hospital, Mugda when she fell ill on Monday morning.

At that time they admitted the mother to Islami Bank Hospital, Mugda. As the hospital had not adequate arrangements for the required treatment, they were asked to take the newborns to Dhaka Shishu Hospital in Shyamoli. The two newborns were later taken by ambulance to there. They say their ICU is not empty and asked to admit at normal bed, which would cost 5 thousand taka per child per day. 

Abul Kalam Azad discussed the matter with a High Court judge. The judge asked her to bring her newborns to BSMMU and contact the director. He later brought BSMMU center and tried to contact the director. But the director’s personal officer informed him that the director was in the meeting. Later he informed that the director has gone home. 

The director’s personal officer then check-up the newborns in the ambulance with a doctor. Then the doctor declared them dead. Then Abul Kalam Azad brought their bodies to the court premises by ambulance.