‘Fani’ hits India’s Odisha
Published: 10:04 AM, 3 May 2019 Updated: 11:48 AM, 3 May 2019
The very severe cyclonic storm ‘Fani’ over Northwest Bay and adjoining west central Bay moved slightly northwards over the same area hit Odisha.
Mrrittunjay Mahapatra, Additional Director of Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) said, "The cyclone ‘Fani’ hit in the area adjacent to the eastern coast of Odisha at 9:30 am on Friday. Maximum sustained wind speed is about 175-185 kmph in gusts or squalls."
Due to intense wind and rain, tearing down trees, blowing away food stands and cutting off power and water. Local police administration is working to control the situation.
The monster weather system, which threatened to bring a dangerous storm surge that could flood low-lying areas, was packing winds of up to 180 kilometers (110 miles) an hour as it ripped into the country’s east coast.
Forecasters say the areas could see gusts of up to 200 kilometers per hour, equivalent in strength to a Category 3 to 4 hurricane.
The news of ‘Fani’ hit Odisha is reported from a Kolkata-based Bengali daily 'Daily Anandabazar' on Friday morning.
Meanwhile, 41 special teams have been sent from the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) to Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, and West Bengal. More than 23 teams have been prepared. There are 879 cyclone centers in Odisha. There is an emergency arrangement of 10 lakh people. Coast Guard and Navy helicopters, Navy ships have prepared to tackle the situation. The air force is also ready in Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, and West Bengal.
Satellite footage of cyclone ‘Fani’ on the coast of Odisha
Apart from this, instructions have been given one thousand crore rupees for Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal for the advance preparation.
According to the Bangladesh Meteorological Department, the ‘Fani’ located in the Bay of Bengal could hit southwestern Bangladesh by Friday afternoon through the coast of Odisha, India.
Due to this, the maritime ports of Mongla and Payra have been advised to keep hoisted danger signal No 7, and maritime port of Chattogram has been advised to keep hoisted danger signal No 6.
- Australia set a target of 286 for England
- No harmful contents in pasteurized milk brands, BSTI to HC
- JP-led govt will be formed in future: GM Quader
- Army Chief to visit United Nations Peacekeeping Mission
- Dementia risk tied to common drugs
- Momen sought Beijing’s support to convince Myanmar
- Action against govt officials if drug addict: HM
- FR Tower: ACC’s case accusing Ex-RAJUK chair among 25
- PM’s good news for Tigers
- Brian Lara hospitalized after chest pain
- Who responsible for collapsed bridges?
- Exemption with financial benefit by SI
- All pasteurised milk including Pran-Milk Vita-Arong adulterated
- Holey Artisan attack case: Five more policemen testify
- England wins toss, bowl first
- ECNEC clears 10 projects
- PM orders to quick repair of shaky bridges
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Owners of 31 brick kilns sued
- Writ files to correct mistakes on English 2nd paper
- Suman in HC seeking ban on unnecessary C-section
- Six Killed as bus falls into ditch in India
- Heat wave may abate some places
- JSS activist shot dead in Bandarban
- Elderly man dies as 90kg man falls on him
- US hits Iran’s supreme leader Khamenei with sanctions
- Australia-England high voltage match today
- 3 human traffickers killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Probe report submission deferred again
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- IU publishes Fazil, Kamil exams’ results
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties