Facebook fined $4 mn again
Published: 09:42 PM, 7 December 2019
Facebook has been fined around $4 million for allegedly misleading its users in Hungary by claiming the use of its services was free, the Hungarian Competition Authority said Friday.
The authority called the fine of 1.2 billion forints ($4.01 million, 3.63 million euros) the largest-ever issued in Hungary in a matter of consumer protection.
According to the competition authority, Facebook posted slogans such as "Free and anyone can join" on its opening page and help center, claiming that its services were free of charge.
While true that users don't pay a fee, they paid for their use of Facebook by driving profits to the company through its collection and use of their detailed data, such as consumer preferences, interests and habits, the authority said.
It added that, using that information, Facebook sold advertising opportunities to its clients, with the ads reaching consumers through their insertion among users' Facebook posts.
The authority said that the notices about the free use of Facebook "distract consumers' attention" from the compensation they provide the company — the provision and extent of their data and its consequences.
The authority said it calculated the fine based not only on the advertising revenues in Hungary of Facebook Ireland Ltd., but also took into account that during the investigation the company made changes globally to the slogans on its opening page about the gratuitousness of the service, and also to the content of the help center.
The misleading information about the free services appeared on Facebook between Jan. 2010 and until earlier this year, the authority said.
- Deadly virus’ outbreak in China, HSIA in high alert
- 60 Yemeni soldiers killed in Houthi missile attack
- Rohingya drug peddler killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Man commits suicide killing 4 in Maulvibazar
- Bone-shaking winter again!
- 7 devotees die at 2nd phase Ijtema
- Today’s Sports on TV
- 2nd Phase Akheri Munajat today
- President asks NDC graduates to uphold forces image
- Kathbirali releases in Switzerland
- Traditional horse race in Madhupur
- US military dispatches over 70 trucks to Syria
- Woman crushed under train in Gopalganj
- Farmers worried of Boro cultivation
- Students to bear computers instead of books
- 10 pairs of marriage arranged Saturday at Ijtema
- World`s shortest mand dies
- Bangladesh starts U-19s WC with win
- Wedelia can cure hair loss forever!
- 2 detained with yaba in Brahmanbaria
- Father killed 40 days innocent girl dropping into water
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- 7 snatcher detained in capital
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Child wounded by outsider’s pelting in running train
- Now Trump attacks Khamenei
- Unidentified man found dead in Kaliganj
- Siblings drowned in Barishal
- Soroj Mehedi becomes brand ambassador of TRIOGM
- Bangabandhu played politics for the country’s dev: Minister
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- EXO’s Chen getting married and expecting a child
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- Protests in Iran demanding Khamenei`s resignation
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away