FSA chair exempted from contempt charge
HC asked NCRPD to launch complaints hotline for 24/7
Published: 06:34 PM, 16 June 2019 Updated: 06:37 PM, 16 June 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Chairman of Bangladesh Food Safety Authority (BFSA) Mahfuzul Haque has been exempted from the contempt of court charge after he apologized to the court for his role.
The HC bench of Justice Sheikh Hassan Arif and Justice Razik-Al-Jalilon Sunday passed the order after he appeared before the court and begged apology for not complying with the summon order issued by the High Court on May 23.
On May 23, the High Court (HC) summoned him to appear before it on June 16 as the 52 products that failed the quality tests of Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institution (BSTI) were not removed from the market.
Besides, the HC asked the National Consumers’ Right Protection Department (NCRPD) to launch hotline for hearing the complaints of the consumers within two months.
The HC said according to the information by the Consumers’ Right Protection Department, people can lodge complaint by dialing 01777753668 and they will be able to lodge complaint to 999 and 333.The court asked the department to keep these numbers and hotline open round the clock.
It also asked the Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institutions (BSTI) to conduct mobile court drives throughout the year.
Chairman of Bangladesh Food Safety Authority (BFSA) Mahfuzul Haque
The High Court on May 12 asked the authorities concerned to remove immediately from the market 52 food items of different local brands that failed the quality tests of the BSTI.
The court also directed the BFSA and Directorate of National Consumers' Right Protection to comply with the order and submit their reports within 10 days.
It also ordered stopping production and marketing of those products until their quality is improved.
According to media reports published on May 3-4, the BSTI tested 406 food samples of 27 types.
They published the results of 313 products. Of those, samples from 52 manufacturers were found to be substandard and adulterated,
Advocate Shihab Uddin Khan stood for the petitioner while Faridul Islam and Barrister MR Hasan stood for BFSA and BSTI respectively and deputy attorney general Mokhlesur Rahman represented the state.
- Bribery scam: Ex-ACC Director Basir sent to jail
- New research unveils real cause of heart attack
- Four killed in Narayanganj’s 4 Upazilas
- ‘Stern action if killing people over child lifting rumor’
- 5828 multimedia classrooms installed in Rajshahi
- Sergeant Kibria’s father files writ seeking compensation
- Minni’s bail hearing Jul 30
- Three father of a newborn baby!
- Shokh to play Minni’s role in Eid
- Habits that extremely harmful for liver
- Rain likely to increase, temperature may fall
- Advance train tickets to be sold at 5 spots
- Fire breaks out at CMCH Psychiatry department
- 25 schoolgirls fall sick from laughing too much
- ‘Lion King’ roars as surpassing ‘Avengers’ record
- Ronaldo will not face rape charges
- Critical security flaw found in VLC Player
- Two robbers killed in Sundarbans gunfight
- Large-scale government data hacks in Russia, Bulgaria
- Mehazabien with new story
- Shinzo Abe wins Japan’s upper house poll
- National Public Service Day-2019 today
- Renu lynched in Badda: 2 more held
- Drug peddler killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Suspended ACC director Basir held
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Edu Minister`s husband Toufiq Nawaz severely ill
- How to get HSC result
- Bangladesh to play warm-up match today
- Minni sent to jail
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Humanity for animal !