FF Atiq murder case: 7 get death penalty...

Dhaka, Wednesday   27 January 2021

FF Atiq murder case: 7 get death penalty

 Staff Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 01:37 PM, 2 December 2020   Updated: 05:34 PM, 2 December 2020

Photo: Daily Bangladesh

Photo: Daily Bangladesh

A court today has sentenced the death penalty to seven accused in the murder case Freedom Fighter Atiq Ullah Chowdhury, chairman of Konda UP in Dhaka’s Keraniganj upazila and convener of the then Awami League. One has been acquitted in this case.

Judge Abu Jafar Md. Kamruzzaman of Dhaka Speedy Trial Tribunal-1 handed over the verdict on Wednesday.

The convicted accused are – Gulzar Hossain, Ashiq, Shihab Ahmed alias Shibu, Ahsanul Kabir Emon, Tajul Islam Tanu, Jahangir Khan alias Jahangir and Rafiqul Islam alias Amin alias Tunda Amin. 

Another accused in the case Shampa has been acquitted.

In another section, the death awardee convicts were sentenced to seven years imprisonment and one more year imprisonment for non-payment of a fine of Tk 50,000. 

Earlier, three accused Shampa, Jahangir and Ahsanul Kabir were produced before the court at around 8:00 am. At that time, they were kept in court jail.

They were then taken to court at 11:45 am before the verdict was announced. At 12:52 pm, the judge started reading the verdict and handed over the verdict at 1:08 pm.

Meanwhile, the remaining five accused were absent as they were absconding after getting bail. They are – Gulzar Hossain, Asif, Shihab Ahmed alias Shibu, Tajul Islam Tanu and Rafiqul Islam alias Amin alias Tunda Amin.

The accused Asif and Shampa gave confessional statements in the court.

It is to be noted that Atiq Ullah Chowdhury, a heroic Freedom Fighter and a UP chairman, went missing on 10 December 2013. The next day, on 11 December, police recovered his mutilated body from the side of a hospital in the Doleshwar area of ​​South Keraniganj. Later, Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury, son of the deceased, identified the body by looking at the papers and ATM card with him.

Saidur Rahman Faruk Chowdhury (current chairman of Konda UP) filed the case with South Keraniganj Police Station on 12 December 2013.

After investigating the case, the police filed a chargesheet against 8 on 31 January 2015. Then on 2 July of the same year, the court framed charges against the accused and ordered the trial to begin. Then on 10 September, the arguments of the state and the accused ended. During the trial, the court took the testimony of 11 out of 21 witnesses.