Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
Published: 12:51 PM, 19 July 2019 Updated: 05:52 PM, 19 July 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court has directed the Department of Drug Administration for step to make clear the expiration date, production date and price on the drug.
The court appreciated the government concerned for operating expired drug seizure and destruction. The court said, ‘it is commendable job. The court also advised to carry on the campaign and said ‘it should be kept running. Everyone should be aware.’
After the report submission following the writ’s hearing on expired medicine, a High Court bench comprised of Justices FM Nazmul Ahsan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader issued the order on Thursday.
The Department of Drug Administration, Department of Consumer Rights Protection jointly submitted this report to the attorney general's office on Tuesday. This came to the proceedings on Thursday for the hearing on the court.
On behalf of the writ petition, Advocate ABM Altaf Hossain was in the court while Deputy attorney general ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar was on behalf of the state. And Advocate Kamruzzaman Kochi was in favor of consumer rights.
Lawyer Kamruzzaman Kochi said that, ‘the operation is ongoing process. The law provides for a maximum fine of Tk 50,000.’
He said that the drive had been operated in 17 pharmacies. Of them, expired medicines have been found in 8 pharmacies.
‘This is the era of technology. Though the newspaper is not available everywhere, but television is! Even television is available at remote riverine areas too. So think whether (you) can advertise in electronic media aiming to conscious people. Although it is subject of money, it will help to increase public awareness,’ the court asked the state prosecutor.
The court said, the production date, expiration date and price should be clear on the drug. Many people do not understand English but our drugs are being exported. So these must be in both Bangla and English.
Responding to the court, the state prosecutor replied, “The campaign has been operated in accordance with the court order. Public notice has been circulated in the newspapers. An inter-ministerial committee has been formed following the court order.”
The court said, "I would like to thank you for taking appropriate action." The campaign is commendable, the court also mentioned.
Presenting ore-saline, several injections, and a few drugs, including asthma, in court the petitioner's lawyer said that, ‘no steps were taken to make the period of medicine visible. They need to be clear.’
Later, the court order to make clear the production date, expire date, and value on the drug; and fixed the next hearing on August 22.
According to the submitted report by the Department of Medicine Administration on Tuesday, the expired medicine of Tk 36 crore 41 lakh 95 thousand has been seized and destructed. And 152 cases have been filed. Mobile court has fined one crore and Tk50 lakh for keeping expired medicines. These were found in the report submitted by Director General of Drug Administration Department, Major General Md. Mahbubur Rahman.
Earlier, the High Court directed the government to take necessary steps against sale, reserve of expired drugs on June 18. At the same time, the court also asked to submit reports within 30 days, regarding the measures taken against the accused.
On May 10, Deputy Director of Consumer Rights Protection Director Manzur Mohammad Shahriar said “In Dhaka city, about 93 percent of pharmacies has expired medicines.”
On June 17, Justice Watch Foundation Executive Director Barrister Mahfuzur Rahman Milon, the Supreme Court lawyer filed a writ attaching a report published in the newspaper.
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Marium, a lovely animal dies after eating plastic
- New Indonesian capital to be in Jungle?
- How to cook meat faster
- Tourists unhappy over Teknaf`s odor-pollution
- Fatima: The Wonder Lady!
- Rail links with Khulna snapped
- Maududist modern era devil: Agriculture Minister
- ‘Blood Bank of Kaliganj’ saved thousand lives
- ‘Mayaboti’ release date scheduled
- Dressing room rift misinterpreted in media: Mahmudullah
- Humayun for all-side interest on rawhide issue
- Tannery owners to buy rawhide form tomorrow
- JKS for transport workers’ fixed work hrs rein road accident
- How long should Kashmiris wait for peace?
- JnU’s Olympiad winner dies
- Day laborer Dalip Singh became ‘Great Khali’
- Shirin Sharmin to join South Asian Speakers’ Summit
- 1 day after buying bike, youth killed in accident
- Happy birthday Mia Bhai
- Serious health risk in handling taka: research reveals
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Cumilla road crash: 6 of a family among deceased
- Jumps from boat get a divorce!
- DMP files 4,780 cases over traffic violations
- Tk 120 cr allotted for flood recovery
- Writ seeking HC order to find out culprits in rawhide fall
- Man killed in Dhaka road crash
- How to advance in career when your boss won’t help
- Action against bribe payer too: PM
- All News »
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 63 Bangladeshi Hajj pilgrims died in Saudi Arabia
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- Flood victims to get 24,000 houses
- `Our prayer for abolition of evil power`
- 8 births recorded during Hajj 2019
- Huge crowd at terminals
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future