Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
Published: 12:51 PM, 19 July 2019 Updated: 05:52 PM, 19 July 2019
The High Court has directed the Department of Drug Administration for step to make clear the expiration date, production date and price on the drug.
The court appreciated the government concerned for operating expired drug seizure and destruction. The court said, ‘it is commendable job. The court also advised to carry on the campaign and said ‘it should be kept running. Everyone should be aware.’
After the report submission following the writ’s hearing on expired medicine, a High Court bench comprised of Justices FM Nazmul Ahsan and Justice KM Kamrul Kader issued the order on Thursday.
The Department of Drug Administration, Department of Consumer Rights Protection jointly submitted this report to the attorney general's office on Tuesday. This came to the proceedings on Thursday for the hearing on the court.
On behalf of the writ petition, Advocate ABM Altaf Hossain was in the court while Deputy attorney general ABM Abdullah Al Mahmud Bashar was on behalf of the state. And Advocate Kamruzzaman Kochi was in favor of consumer rights.
Lawyer Kamruzzaman Kochi said that, ‘the operation is ongoing process. The law provides for a maximum fine of Tk 50,000.’
He said that the drive had been operated in 17 pharmacies. Of them, expired medicines have been found in 8 pharmacies.
‘This is the era of technology. Though the newspaper is not available everywhere, but television is! Even television is available at remote riverine areas too. So think whether (you) can advertise in electronic media aiming to conscious people. Although it is subject of money, it will help to increase public awareness,’ the court asked the state prosecutor.
The court said, the production date, expiration date and price should be clear on the drug. Many people do not understand English but our drugs are being exported. So these must be in both Bangla and English.
Responding to the court, the state prosecutor replied, “The campaign has been operated in accordance with the court order. Public notice has been circulated in the newspapers. An inter-ministerial committee has been formed following the court order.”
The court said, "I would like to thank you for taking appropriate action." The campaign is commendable, the court also mentioned.
Presenting ore-saline, several injections, and a few drugs, including asthma, in court the petitioner's lawyer said that, ‘no steps were taken to make the period of medicine visible. They need to be clear.’
Later, the court order to make clear the production date, expire date, and value on the drug; and fixed the next hearing on August 22.
According to the submitted report by the Department of Medicine Administration on Tuesday, the expired medicine of Tk 36 crore 41 lakh 95 thousand has been seized and destructed. And 152 cases have been filed. Mobile court has fined one crore and Tk50 lakh for keeping expired medicines. These were found in the report submitted by Director General of Drug Administration Department, Major General Md. Mahbubur Rahman.
Earlier, the High Court directed the government to take necessary steps against sale, reserve of expired drugs on June 18. At the same time, the court also asked to submit reports within 30 days, regarding the measures taken against the accused.
On May 10, Deputy Director of Consumer Rights Protection Director Manzur Mohammad Shahriar said “In Dhaka city, about 93 percent of pharmacies has expired medicines.”
On June 17, Justice Watch Foundation Executive Director Barrister Mahfuzur Rahman Milon, the Supreme Court lawyer filed a writ attaching a report published in the newspaper.
- 8-yrs son on way demanding punishment of father’s killers
- Man arrested after London mosque stabbing
- CU also not to join combined admission test system
- Martin Braithwaite joins Barcelona
- US Embassy launches website in Bengali
- BSF officer commits suicide in Kashmir
- BD ranks 143 in improving quality of life in children
- Schoolgirl hangs for cellphone
- Train derailed in Australia kills 2
- Bangladeshi detained by BSF on Kurigram border
- Untold story of language fighter Momtaz Begum
- Fraud Nigerian detained in airport
- Tips to get rid of chickenpox scar
- 9 persons, one institution to get Independence Award
- DMP detained 57 in anti-narcotic drive
- Extinct wildcat recovered from Bhola
- S Korea confirms first coronavirus death
- Kohli needs 11 to surpass Ganguly
- Use of English still continues on billboards
- Convicted accused detained in Brahmanbaria
- 2 drug dealers detained in Capital
- Women’s T20 World Cup: Schedule of Tigresses
- 17 years of losing Golam Mustafa
- College teacher, child killed in Bogura road crash
- Language Movement and Manikganj
- SME Product Fair Magura from Feb 22
- Uphold dignity of mother language: PM
- Harry-Megan return to Britain
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Gunfight at banana orchard, drug dealer killed
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Soumya to get married this month
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM