Ex-Trump lawyer calls US president `racist`
Published: 10:10 PM, 27 February 2019
Donald Trump's former personal lawyer Michael Cohen called the US president a conman, a cheat and a racist in explosive congressional testimony Wednesday, saying he was ashamed of a decade of working for the real estate billionaire.
Trump's disgraced former fixer was giving evidence as Congress prepares for the final report from a probe into possible collusion between his campaign and Russia -- and with the president in Vietnam for a second historic summit with North Korea.
Cohen -- who is about to go to jail for three years after admitting financial crimes and lying to Congress -- said Trump directed him in an illegal scheme to pay hush money to a porn star, and knew in advance in 2016 that WikiLeaks would publish dirt on Hillary Clinton, despite Trump's denials of both.
He also said Trump directed negotiations for a Trump Tower in Moscow through the 2016 election campaign even while denying any business ties with the Russians.
Cohen said Trump implicitly directed him to lie about the project, and that White House lawyers "reviewed and edited" his testimony in 2017 when he lied to Congress about the Trump Tower negotiations.
But Cohen, 52, also said he had no direct evidence that Trump or his 2016 campaign colluded with Russians -- the central focus of Justice Department and congressional investigations.
Cohen told lawmakers he was "ashamed" of his decade-long role as the president's personal lawyer and "fixer" for sensitive problems.
"I am ashamed because I know what Mr. Trump is. He is a racist. He is a conman. He is a cheat," Cohen said.
"Today, I am here to tell the truth about Mr. Trump," he said.
Democratic Chairman Elijah Cummings said Cohen's testimony was "deeply disturbing, and it should be troubling to all Americans."
"If it is as explosive as it appears to be, I think that it is the beginning of an impeachment process," Democratic Representative Jackie Speier, another member of the panel, told NPR radio early Wednesday.
Trump, in Hanoi for a second nuclear summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, responded to the early release of the testimony by trying to discredit Cohen.
"Michael Cohen was one of many lawyers who represented me (unfortunately)," Trump tweeted.
"He was just disbarred by the State Supreme Court for lying & fraud. He did bad things unrelated to Trump. He is lying in order to reduce his prison time."
- Republican threats -
Cohen appeared drawn as he began his testimony before the House of Representatives Oversight Committee, the only open and televised hearing of three scheduled for him this week on Capitol Hill.
On Tuesday he spent eight hours behind closed doors at the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 election and the Trump campaign's behavior.
On Thursday he will testify in a closed session at the House Intelligence Committee, also investigating Russian election interference, as well as Trump's business relations with Russians.
Cohen's testimony was greeted by a hail of counterattacks from Republicans.
Late Tuesday Representative Matt Gaetz, a close Trump ally, tweeted a veiled threat addressed to Cohen.
"Do your wife & father-in-law know about your girlfriends? Maybe tonight would be a good time for that chat. I wonder if she'll remain faithful when you're in prison. She's about to learn a lot," Gaetz wrote.
Democrats expressed outrage at the tweet, accusing Gaetz of illegal witness intimidation.
- Focus on Trump and Russians -
Addressing a key focus of the federal and congressional investigations into Russian meddling, Cohen said he did not have "direct evidence" of collusion between the Trump campaign and Moscow.
"But I have my suspicions," he added.
He said he believes that Trump was informed ahead of time about a meeting between his campaign and a Russian lawyer peddling "dirt" on Trump's election rival Hillary Clinton.
And he said he was present in mid-2016 when Republican campaign consultant Roger Stone called Trump to inform him that WikiLeaks was about to publish damaging information on Clinton that it got from Russian hackers.
"Mr. Trump responded by stating to the effect of 'wouldn't that be great,'" Cohen said.
On race, Cohen said America has seen Trump woo white supremacists and bigots but that in private "he is even worse."
"He once asked me if I could name a country run by a black person that wasn't a 'shithole.' This was when Barack Obama was president of the United States," Cohen said.
- New virus cases soar in S.Korea
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 2 held over schoolgirl rape in B`baria
- Amar Ekushey observed in CU
- Kohli to play Mujib Year`s T20Is
- Seven-day book fair begins in Dinajpur
- GP agrees to pay Tk 1000cr to BTRC
- Rodela Jannat knot tie with Sujon
- A win can change whole situation: Mominul
- UN publishes report in Bengali on Language Day
- 4 killed in Mymensingh road crash
- BNP fails to deliver politics for mass people: Hasan
- Poonam four-fer shocks Australia in tournament opener
- Metro Rail: Advantages and Benefits
- Barbed fence can`t stop language: Swapan
- Padma Bridge now 3750 meters visible
- India set 133 target for Australia
- Tigers’ humble tribute for Language Martyrs
- 5200 candle lit commemorating Language Heroes
- Human trafficker killed in Teknaf gunfire
- India elected to bat
- Opening match: Australia vs India
- Gunfight at RAB checkpoint, 1 found dead
- Sound pollution, duo arrests in Ctg
- Crowd erupted at Cumilla Shaheed Minar
- Amar Ekushey Prabhat Feri observed in Sylhet
- 2 BCL leaders crashed to fetch flowers
- Tribute procession to Ctg Central Shaheed Minar
- Prabhat Feri observed in Shariatpur
- More 115 killed in lethal COVID-19 in a day
- All News »
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Soumya with future wife
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj