Ex-FBI director Comey challenges House subpoena in court
Published: 10:15 AM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 03:21 PM, 30 November 2018
Former FBI Director James Comey
Former FBI Director James Comey moved Thursday to block a subpoena from the Republican-led House of Representatives, saying the closed-door interview demanded by lawmakers would be selectively leaked for political purposes.
Comey was subpoenaed earlier this month by the House Judiciary Committee to discuss FBI actions and decisions in 2016, including the decision to not recommend criminal charges against Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email server. The FBI also opened an investigation that year into potential coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign.
Comey, who has testified multiple times about both investigations on Capitol Hill, said last week that he would be happy to testify in a public hearing but would refuse to appear at a closed-door, private interview.
The interview had been scheduled for Monday, but Comey's lawyers asked a judge Thursday to put off his appearance and also to spike the subpoena.
As set forth in Comey's motion to quash the subpoena, his lawyers wrote, "Mr. Comey's testimony will be subject to selective leaking by members of the Judiciary Committee in furtherance of the Committee's abuse of these proceedings and harassment of witnesses who appear in closed-door depositions."
They said House committees had been leaking to "support a false political narrative while subjecting the witnesses to a variety of abuse."
They attached a series of news articles about closed-door congressional interviews that they said had been based on leaks.
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte, who sent the subpoena, tweeted Thursday evening that Comey "believes he deserves special treatment, as he is the only witness refusing to either appear voluntarily or comply with a subpoena."
Goodlatte added, "What is Director Comey trying to hide from the American people with his baseless motion to quash?"
- Kim in Russia for Putin summit
- Tarique’s friend Mamun gets 7-year jail
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- PM to visit Sheikh Selim’s residence
- Adulterated sweets, no one to see!
- Zayan’s body arrives in Dhaka
- Two Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ to die
- Earthquake rattles northeast India, Tibet
- Bitter squash in office’s flowerpots
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 18 detains in hunt over Sri Lanka bombings
- 2 dies after being pushed out from train
- Toll in Sri Lanka bombings rises to 359
- Verdict on 2 Netrokona ‘Rajakars’ today
- Six years of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- Emirates to face Kyrgyzstan today
- 54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
- Second session of 11th JS today
- Drug trader killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Zayan’s body to arrive Dhaka today
- India warned Sri Lanka 2 hours before Suicide Attacks
- Hijra, a creature of Allah: Noor
- Online reg required for St. Martin visit
- Biman to resume Dhaka-Delhi flight from May 13
- Kim, Putin to hold first talks in Russia
- PM returns home from Brunei
- Shakib returns for SRH, CSK to bowl
- BNP on extinction boycotting JS says Tofail
- ACC interrogates Jhenaidah MP Mannan
- Special attention on Rohingyas; says CEC
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand
- Adele separates from husband
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death