Ex-FBI director Comey challenges House subpoena in court
Published: 10:15 AM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 03:21 PM, 30 November 2018
Former FBI Director James Comey
Former FBI Director James Comey moved Thursday to block a subpoena from the Republican-led House of Representatives, saying the closed-door interview demanded by lawmakers would be selectively leaked for political purposes.
Comey was subpoenaed earlier this month by the House Judiciary Committee to discuss FBI actions and decisions in 2016, including the decision to not recommend criminal charges against Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email server. The FBI also opened an investigation that year into potential coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign.
Comey, who has testified multiple times about both investigations on Capitol Hill, said last week that he would be happy to testify in a public hearing but would refuse to appear at a closed-door, private interview.
The interview had been scheduled for Monday, but Comey's lawyers asked a judge Thursday to put off his appearance and also to spike the subpoena.
As set forth in Comey's motion to quash the subpoena, his lawyers wrote, "Mr. Comey's testimony will be subject to selective leaking by members of the Judiciary Committee in furtherance of the Committee's abuse of these proceedings and harassment of witnesses who appear in closed-door depositions."
They said House committees had been leaking to "support a false political narrative while subjecting the witnesses to a variety of abuse."
They attached a series of news articles about closed-door congressional interviews that they said had been based on leaks.
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte, who sent the subpoena, tweeted Thursday evening that Comey "believes he deserves special treatment, as he is the only witness refusing to either appear voluntarily or comply with a subpoena."
Goodlatte added, "What is Director Comey trying to hide from the American people with his baseless motion to quash?"
- Hero Alam wants to marry Popy!
- After bushfires, Australia now deals with floods!
- World’s shortest man Khagendra Thapa dies at 27
- Obaidul Quader mourns death of MP Mannan
- 560-pound IS leader ‘Jabba the Jihadi’ captured in Iraq
- U-19 World Cup: Aus faces WI today
- PM mourns death of MP Mannan
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Rajshahi lift BPL crown
- Countrymen living in peace: IGP
- Putin to attend Libya peace conference
- Mushfiqur refuses to tour Pakistan for T20Is
- Private car driver killed in Narsingdi road mishap
- Reunion of Psychology dept begins in RU
- Rajshahi post 170 in BPL final against Khulna
- Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
- 6 held in Naogaon anti-narcotics drive
- ‘He just want to avoid his duty’
- Young Tigers` World Cup mission starts tomorrow
- Doyel’s ‘Toshok’ Int’l Film Festival
- Businessman killed in Rajshahi road crash
- 3 detained in Akhaura with yaba tablet
- Khulna obt to bowl in BPL final
- Huawei launches 5G smartphone in Kuwait
- Youth crushed under train at Pubail
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Cricket Australia CEO to be in BPL final
- Turkey begins to deploy troops in Libya
- Iran strikes were ‘slap on face’ for US: Khamenei in Zummah
- All News »
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- British diplomat arrested in Iran
- ‘Unintentionally’ shot down Ukrainian jetliner: Iran
- PM mourns death of Oman Sultan
- Obscure’s Prince dies
- Magnitude 5.9 jolts quake-stunned Puerto Rico again
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- PM joins Bishwa Ijtema Akheri Munajat
- Asia’s most costly cricket stadium to be built in Bangladesh!
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- Country shivers as 4th cold wave of season begins
- Snow, rain, flash floods leave 43 dead in Pakistan, Afghanistan
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Oman Sultan Qaboos dies at 79
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Reaction of Canadian PM after Iran admitting mistake
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 12 devotees die during 1st phase of Ijtema
- Teachers-guardians’ help for cheat in exam shameful: President
- Heitham Bin Tariq sworn in as Oman’s new Sultan
- Queen, Prince Harry to hold talks over Sussexes’ future
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 11 killed in US storm-flood
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Thousands of devotees walking to Turag
- Khulna Tigers opt to bowl to ensure top in BPL