Ex-FBI director Comey challenges House subpoena in court
Published: 10:15 AM, 30 November 2018 Updated: 03:21 PM, 30 November 2018
Former FBI Director James Comey
Former FBI Director James Comey moved Thursday to block a subpoena from the Republican-led House of Representatives, saying the closed-door interview demanded by lawmakers would be selectively leaked for political purposes.
Comey was subpoenaed earlier this month by the House Judiciary Committee to discuss FBI actions and decisions in 2016, including the decision to not recommend criminal charges against Hillary Clinton for her use of a private email server. The FBI also opened an investigation that year into potential coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign.
Comey, who has testified multiple times about both investigations on Capitol Hill, said last week that he would be happy to testify in a public hearing but would refuse to appear at a closed-door, private interview.
The interview had been scheduled for Monday, but Comey's lawyers asked a judge Thursday to put off his appearance and also to spike the subpoena.
As set forth in Comey's motion to quash the subpoena, his lawyers wrote, "Mr. Comey's testimony will be subject to selective leaking by members of the Judiciary Committee in furtherance of the Committee's abuse of these proceedings and harassment of witnesses who appear in closed-door depositions."
They said House committees had been leaking to "support a false political narrative while subjecting the witnesses to a variety of abuse."
They attached a series of news articles about closed-door congressional interviews that they said had been based on leaks.
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Robert Goodlatte, who sent the subpoena, tweeted Thursday evening that Comey "believes he deserves special treatment, as he is the only witness refusing to either appear voluntarily or comply with a subpoena."
Goodlatte added, "What is Director Comey trying to hide from the American people with his baseless motion to quash?"
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Heart health: Love one you`re with
- Conduct leastwise two cases free: CJ
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- PM joins Munich Security Conference
- India warns Pakistan of `strong response`
- Trump to spend $8B for Mexico wall
- Haiti president breaks silence finally
- ‘Fagun Haway’ draws huge acclamation
- UN sought $920m for Rohingya
- Motorcyclist killed in Nanglokote road crash
- 78th birthday of Dr Wazed tomorrow
- Myanmar court sentences two to death for Muslim lawyer`s murder
- Dhaka for OIC help on Rohingya issue
- PM seeks more WHO engagement
- Facebook taps user data to defend workers from threat
- Farmers dream in coriander
- Barca extent Valverde contract until 2020
- Tea output increases 57 pc in northern districts
- Allama Shafi with helicopter in Ijtema
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Bomb-like eggplant recovered at CU
- Committee formed to celebrate Bangabandhu’s centenary
- Bangladesh brace for another trail by NZ pace
- Messi is ready for Valverde
- 3 held over Eden College`s ex-principal murder
- First lady makes Valentine’s Day art with pediatric patients
- Trump to declare emergency over Mexico border wall
- Actor Farooque injured
- Mushfiqur on the verge of making double-century
- All News »
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- AL reveals 2nd phase UZ polls candidates name
- Saraswati Puja today
- IAF Chief to visit Dhaka today
- Tomorrow’s SSC exam deferred to March 2
- DUCSU `election schedule` today