Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
Published: 11:15 AM, 19 June 2019 Updated: 06:35 PM, 19 June 2019
Giuseppina Robucci, Southern Italy. Photo: AP
A 116-year-old Italian woman who authorities say was the oldest person in Europe and the second oldest in the world has died.
The Italian news agency ANSA said Giuseppina Robucci died Tuesday in the southern Italian town of Poggio Imperiale, where she was born on March 20, 1903. She lived 116 years and 90 days.
Robert Young of the U.S.-based Gerontology Research Group said Robucci was the last European born in 1903. She was just two months younger than the current oldest living person, Kane Tanaka of Japan, who was born on Jan. 2, 1903, he said.
Robucci is No. 17 on the list of people in the world who have lived the longest lives.
Known locally as Nonna Peppa, Robucci had five children, nine grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. ANSA said she ran a coffee bar with her husband for years, and had been named "honorary mayor" in 2012.
"We are saddened by her death, but at the same time we are honored to have had her as a fellow citizen," Alfonso D'Aloisio, the town's mayor, told ANSA.
Italy previously claimed the world's oldest woman. Emma Moran, the last living person verified to have been born in the 1800s, died on April 15, 2017 at the age of 117 years and 137 days.
- Four killed in Kutubdia boat capsize
- 14 gamblers-drug dealers detained in Mymensingh
- Govt to shut 3 crore illegal smartphones
- Myanmar on financial surveillance!
- Pakistan conducts successful missile test
- No high-rise buildings along sea: PM
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 450 of 1200 posts vacant
- Preparation for Dhaka-10 by-polls completed: Returning Officer
- Rape accused detained in Narayanganj
- BNP`s politics stuck in Khaleda`s illness: Hasan
- Interest of postal saving will be revisited: Kamal
- Teacher takes salary without signing attendance sheet!
- Three robbers detained in Jamalpur
- Mysterious ship washes up Irish coast
- Diamond Princess passengers disembark after quarantine ends
- 6 girls injured after tree falls in Noakhali
- FIFA cancels planed meeting due to coronavirus
- Walton to export smartphones in US
- Padma Bridge rail route being connected with Trans-Asian network
- Match officials for Bangladesh-Zimbabwe series
- TCB preparing for Ramadan
- Tomato to get immaculate skin
- Mashrafe’s farewell after BAN vs ZIM series!
- Bangladesh to take on Pakistan tomorrow
- ‘Problems can be solved by forming joint working group’
- Mehazabien comes with new look
- SC bar association polls on March 11,12
- AL local government nomination board meets today
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Soumya to get married this month
- Soumya with future wife
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Good news to honey farmers
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Coronavirus: Chinese hospitals discharge 4,740 recovered patients
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Samsung unveils new foldable phone Galaxy Z Flip
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation