European SolO probe ready to take on audacious mission
Published: 07:29 PM, 19 October 2019
The European spacecraft that aims to take the closest-ever pictures of the Sun is built and ready for launch - reports BBC.
The Solar Orbiter, or SolO, the probe will put itself inside the orbit of Planet Mercury to train its telescopes on the surface of our star.
Other instruments will sense the constant outflow of particles and their embedded magnetic fields.
Scientists hope the detailed observations can help them understand better what drives the Sun's activity.
This goes up and down on an 11-year cycle. It's sure to be a fascinating endeavor but it's one that has direct relevance to everyone on Earth.
The energetic outbursts from our star have the ability to damage satellites, harm astronauts, degrade radio communications, and even knock power grids offline.
“We’re doing this not just for the sake of increasing our knowledge but also for being able to take precautions, for example by putting satellites in safe mode when we know big solar storms are coming or letting astronauts not leave the space station on these days,” said Daniel Müller, the European Space Agency (ESA) project scientist on SolO.
The probe was assembled in Stevenage, UK, by Airbus (Britain has invested €220m in the €1.5bn project), with the past year spent here at the IABG facility in Ottobrunn, Germany, for testing.
The spacecraft has cleared its checks and will now ship out to Florida to be mated with the Atlas rocket that will hurl it towards the Sun in early February.
SolO was first conceived in the late 1990s with the industrial contract to produce it awarded in 2012.
- BSMRUST reduces admission fee finally
- 44 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- 10min charge 12 hrs backup!
- Bangladesh reach final by beating Nepal
- Kenya building collapse: Several killed, more feared trapped
- 24 hours in onion field to prevent theft
- Two killed as truck hit autorickshaw
- Aziz Khan named 40th richest in Singapore
- Schoolboy killed in Rangpur road crash
- Peon killed after being hit by motorcycle
- Dry weather likely with partly cloudy sky
- Veteran actor Khalil’s 5th death anniv today
- Indian rape victim dies after being set ablaze
- Ways to prevent tooth decay
- 4 fruits to reduce age
- Petrobangla building fire under control
- Mickey Arthur appointed as Sri Lankan head coach
- Fire at Petrobangla building in Karwan Bazar
- Suu Kyi flies to Hague next week
- Three of a family found dead in Barishal
- Two launches collide in Meghna; 1 killed, missing 15
- Man City to face Man United today
- Merkel visits Auschwitz for first time
- No change in post of AL president in next council: Quader
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- Rebels kill 17 in eastern Congo
- Shakhawat, Rokeya win silver in SAG weightlifting
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Myanmar Navy handed over 17 Bangladeshi fishermen
- Saudi Aramco raises $25.6 billion in biggest-ever IPO
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Physician couple in Dr Baker’s place, serving poor people
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Get about newly elected Metropolitan AL leaders
- 2 Jabale Nur drivers among 3 get life-term
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- PM opens AL’s Dhaka City units council
- ‘Bangabandhu Express’ to run from victory day
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- UN chief says humanity’s ‘war against nature’ must stop
- Siam’s new look in ‘Ittefaq’
- Sunny Leone’s ‘Hello G’
- Bridge attacker jailed for terror crimes: UK police
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Flower blooms with Azan
- Kushtia double murder case: 4 to die, 7 get life term
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Euro-2020: Match schedule
- Salman Khan sunken in Afghan beauty
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Barca, Man United, Juventus to play tonight
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Nepal`s mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry