Europe: 20 dead as heavy snow fall across continent
Published: 06:58 PM, 12 January 2019 Updated: 06:58 PM, 12 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least 20 people have died after heavy snowfall continued to batter Europe, with two snowboarders killed in an avalanche in Bulgaria on Friday.
Bad weather has closed down schools, left some remote villages cut off and disrupted traffic and power supplies in the Balkans.
The Bulgarian Red Cross said the snowboarders' bodies were found at 12pm in the Pirin Mountains, and claimed that the two triggered the avalanche that killed them after ignoring warnings.
Heavy snow has caused fatal avalanches in Germany and Austria, and also caused flights to be cancelled at Frankfurt and Munich Airports.
In Germany, the driver of a snow plow died after his vehicle toppled into an icy river.
Police in Lenggries, south of Munich, said the 48-year-old was rescued after several hours but died in hospital.
Austrian military helicopters had to rescue 66 German teenagers from a mountain guest house on Friday where they had been stuck for several days.
In Salzburg, all parks, public gardens, play areas and cemeteries were closed Friday because of the danger of trees falling under the weight of snow.
In eastern Switzerland, police said three people were hurt when an avalanche hit a hotel at Schwaegalp on Thursday afternoon.
Albania's Energy Ministry said a power company employee suffered a fatal heart attack while repairing damaged supply lines.
About 2,000 soldiers and other emergency workers in Albania were assigned to help people trapped by snow and to clear roads to restore access to rural areas.
Serbian state TV reported that several municipalities in the southwest of the country have introduced emergency measures, warning of snow piling up on the roads and sealing off mountain villages.
Most schools in the area closed down and 10 people had to be rescued from their homes, with strong winds causing complications.
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- Al Shabaab raid kills 11 in Somalia
- BNP will face extinction like Jamaat: Hanif
- BKSP clicnh thrilling victory over Brother Union
- UK police arrested 104 yrs woman
- True-Meaning Wearable Displays
- SAU student killed; pushed off moving bus
- Butterfly numbers down: Study
- Nano-bot can probe inside human cells
- Chemical of old Dhaka is now residential area
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Panchbibi
- 15 Day training for upazila info service officers begins
- Step against entrants with arms in airport
- CSK to field first aginst RCB
- Two students killed in road crashes in Munshiganj, Gazipur
- Bangladesh Archery team to fly to Bangkok Sunday
- Quader talks to physician
- 3 brands to spend 250 crores on Aamir
- Many `march for love` in New Zealand as mosques reopen
- Rowshan deputy opposition in JS
- 19 drug dealers’ surrender in Feni
- Kamal visits Mosharraf Rubel
- 8 Indian nationals extradited
- Schoolboy killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Boro cultivation exceeds target in C’nawabganj
- Jet Airways hangs flight to Dhaka
- Modi greets Imran Khan on Pakistan National Day
- Taskin chooses World Cup over his prolonged career
- Minister for Human rights violation free Bangladesh
- One killed in Gazipur road crash
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed