Erdogan-Trump Washington talks Nov 13
Published: 07:28 PM, 7 November 2019 Updated: 07:29 PM, 7 November 2019
Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan will travel to the United States next week to meet Donald Trump, the Turkish presidency said Wednesday, amid heightened tensions between the two countries.
In a telephone conversation, “the two leaders reconfirmed that they will meet in Washington on Wednesday, November 13, on President Trump’s invitation,” the Turkish presidency said.
Erdogan had threatened to cancel his visit due to disputes over the Syrian conflict and the US House of Representatives recognizing the mass killing of Armenians a century ago as genocide.
Trump issued a tweet saying he’d had a “very good call” with Erdogan and would “look forward” to hosting him.
Trump said that during the phone call, they discussed the Syrian-Turkish border, “the eradication of terrorism, the ending of hostilities with the Kurds, and many other topics.”
On the call, Erdogan also discussed the detention of the wife of the late Islamic State (IS) group leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, who was killed during a US raid in Syria.
“He informed me that they have captured numerous ISIS fighters that were reported to have escaped during the conflict — including a wife and sister of terrorist killer al Baghdadi,” Trump tweeted, using an acronym for IS.
In his comments, Erdogan took a swipe at the United States, saying “we didn’t make a big fuss” about the capture of Baghdadi’s wife.
By contrast, he said, the United States “started a very big communication operation” after Baghdadi’s death.
The IS leader was killed in a US special forces operation carried out with the help of Kurdish fighters in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib, just across the border from Turkey.
- Two injured as onion-loaded truck turnover
- Bangladesh started practice for pink-ball Test
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Australia bans Pattinson from Pakistan Test
- No question leak reported
- Bubly’s ‘Casino’
- Two banned cricketers in BPL draft
- Dead body recovered from Adabor
- PSC examinee killed in Dinajpur road accident
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- HC to intervene to cut onion prices
- Verdict in Holey Artisan attack case Nov 27
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft this evening
- 2 Rohingya drug traders killed in gunfight
- Tougher actions against onion price hikers: Hasan
- HC rules over forming independent prosecution service commission
- Wall separates madrasah-temple
- Happy birthday Runa Laila
- Cauliflower Musollam
- 58 arrested in anti-narcotic drive
- Quader sought students’ help for discipline on road
- Bus ditched in Kamalnagar: 25 injured
- Samrat on 6-day fresh remand
- Retirement age of FFs remains 60
- Dry weather likely till tomorrow morning
- Thousands devotees in Lokenath Ashram with luminaries
- Rajapaksa set to become Sri Lanka president
- 5 including children killed in California domestic violence
- Folk Fest ends making melody in heart
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Gambia files case against Myanmar at UN court
- Eight allegations of genocide against Myanmar
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- B’baria train collision: Death toll climbs to 16
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- After ‘Bulbul’, now cyclone ‘Nakri’ forming in Bay
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Rogue "Bin Laden" elephant that killed 5 caught in Assam
- Tuesday’s JSC-JDC exam suspended
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- Bulbul to cross Satkhira early Sunday
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- A single bad work can spoil 10 good works: Quader
- Bolivian President resigns amid fraud poll protests
- Tigers opt to bat
- State of emergency declared in fire-hit Australia
- Shaheed Nur Hossain Day observed
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- 3 including loco master, director of Turna suspended
- Afghanistan faces Windies in 3rd ODI today
- Tigers’ dream shattered