Ensure fair polls or quit, Fakhrul asks EC
Published: 09:39 PM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 09:45 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Wednesday said the Election Commissioners should resign if it cannot work properly for ensuring a credible and impartial election.
"I would like to urge the Election Commission to let people know as to why you can't perform your duties neutrally, freely and independently. If you're unable to do so, you please step down," he told reporters at BNP chairperson's Gulshan office at noon.
The BNP leader criticised the Election Commission (EC) for what he said its failure to ensure any level-playing field. "The election is going to be a farce. Instead of taking steps for ensuring a level-playing field, they're making efforts to worsen the situation further."
He also alleged that various obstacles are being created constantly to keep BNP away from the election.
Fakhrul said the EC is issuing various notices that are not conductive to a fair election.
He said though it is restricted to holding any rally and election campaign before the allocation of the election symbol, the ruling party runners are regularly holding meetings and rallies without any obstruction.
The BNP leader called upon the Election Commission to exercise their constitutional authorities to hold the election in a fair and credible manner. "We would like to tell the Commission that the election will not be acceptable to all if you work as per the directives of ministers and ruling party leaders.
He alleged that the ruling party is trying to hold a one-party and lopsided election by establishing its control over all the institutions of the country.
Fakhrul said their party's several thousand leaders and activists have been kept in jail while law enforcers are arresting many others regularly in 'false' cases.
He demanded the release of their chairpersons Khaleda Zia and all other arrested leaders and activists immediately.
The BNP leader said they hope to finalise their party's candidates for the 11th parliamentary elections by Wednesday.
Fakhrul urged the voters to get ready to go to the polling stations to exercise their right to franchise under any circumstances and thus restore their ownership of the country.
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- ‘Bangabandhu Aviation & Aerospace University’ to be established
- Maritime ports advised to lower signal
- Close aide of Smriti Irani shot dead
- Cricket on moving ship! Video Viral
- Bangladesh achieve unique success in power services
- Temperature may rise (1-3)°C
- President returns home after 11 day
- Modi appointed as India’s PM for second term
- Bangladeshi shot dead in US
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Old warhorse Malinga keeps Sri Lanka dreaming
- Tigers to face Pakistan this afternoon
- S Africa to meet Windies today in WC warm-up
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Facebook plans cryptocurrency launch next year
- Don’t want to continue as CM, Mamata tells party
- `Special session` will be held with different arrangements
- Messi wins his sixth European Golden Shoe
- Bangladesh take on Pakistan in 1st warm-up tomorrow
- President to return home tomorrow
- Mannan leaves for Bangkok tomorrow
- Tk 20 labor cost for per mount rice in govt warehouse
- Road crash kills 3 in B`baria
- Experts seek bank’s effective role to develop entrepreneurs
- Ramadan: The best time to pay zakat
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Highest power generation recorded
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!