Ensure fair polls or quit, Fakhrul asks EC
Published: 09:39 PM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 09:45 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Wednesday said the Election Commissioners should resign if it cannot work properly for ensuring a credible and impartial election.
"I would like to urge the Election Commission to let people know as to why you can't perform your duties neutrally, freely and independently. If you're unable to do so, you please step down," he told reporters at BNP chairperson's Gulshan office at noon.
The BNP leader criticised the Election Commission (EC) for what he said its failure to ensure any level-playing field. "The election is going to be a farce. Instead of taking steps for ensuring a level-playing field, they're making efforts to worsen the situation further."
He also alleged that various obstacles are being created constantly to keep BNP away from the election.
Fakhrul said the EC is issuing various notices that are not conductive to a fair election.
He said though it is restricted to holding any rally and election campaign before the allocation of the election symbol, the ruling party runners are regularly holding meetings and rallies without any obstruction.
The BNP leader called upon the Election Commission to exercise their constitutional authorities to hold the election in a fair and credible manner. "We would like to tell the Commission that the election will not be acceptable to all if you work as per the directives of ministers and ruling party leaders.
He alleged that the ruling party is trying to hold a one-party and lopsided election by establishing its control over all the institutions of the country.
Fakhrul said their party's several thousand leaders and activists have been kept in jail while law enforcers are arresting many others regularly in 'false' cases.
He demanded the release of their chairpersons Khaleda Zia and all other arrested leaders and activists immediately.
The BNP leader said they hope to finalise their party's candidates for the 11th parliamentary elections by Wednesday.
Fakhrul urged the voters to get ready to go to the polling stations to exercise their right to franchise under any circumstances and thus restore their ownership of the country.
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- ‘Chemical’ evidence found in Churihatta fire incident
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- BNP’s anti-govt comts over city fire improper: Hasan
- Chelsea banned from signing new players
- W.House to keep 200 troops in Syria
- Kartoa Valley land more fertile for tea cultivation: Experts
- Pres at doa for Chawkbazar victims
- DNA samples collected to identify charred bodies
- `Govt instructs to shift godowns from old Dhaka`
- Saudi crown prince meets Chinese president, bags oil deal
- 80 grave ready in Azimpur
- Venezuela seals border
- Unknown panic in Bilchandak!
- Mosquitos killed more humans than all wars
- Dipu Moni emphasizes on lifelong learning for sustainable dev
- No gate keeper in rail crossing
- 7.5 quake hits Peru-Ecuador border
- World`s largest bee found in INDO
- Youth hacked dead in Gazipur
- Chawkbazar fire: Chandpur`s 2 dead
- Kulkhani and Doa Mahfil tomorrow
- ‘Uro Megher Boshonto’ of Nilanjana Neela
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Barrister Razzaq resigns from Jamaat
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP