Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India: official
Published: 04:07 PM, 12 June 2019
At least 31 children have died in northern India in the last 10 days from a deadly brain disease believed linked to a toxic substance found in lychee fruit, health officials said Wednesday.
The deaths were reported from two hospitals in Bihar state’s Muzaffarpur district, famed for it lush lychee orchards, officials said.
The children all showed symptoms of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), senior health official Ashok Kumar Singh told AFP, adding most had suffered a sudden loss of glucose in their blood.
“The health department has already issued an advisory for people to take care of their children during the hot summer when day temperature is above 40 degreed Celsius (104 Fahrenheit),” Singh said.
At least 40 other children complaining of similar symptoms were being treated at intensive care units.
“We are trying our best to save them,” said S.P. Singh, the chief medical officer of Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital.
The outbreaks of the disease have happened annually during summer months in Muzaffarpur and neighboring districts since 1995, typically coinciding with the litchi season.
Known locally as Chamki Bukhar, the disease had claimed a record 150 lives in 2014.
In 2015, US researchers had said the brain disease could be linked to a toxic substance found in the exotic fruit.
They also said more study was needed to uncover the cause of the illness, which leads to seizures, altered mental state, and death in more than a third of cases.
Outbreaks of neurological illness have also been observed in lychee-growing regions of Bangladesh and Vietnam.
- Plastic product manufacturers for VAT withdrawal
- 6.46 lakh people live in Dhaka slums: Minister in JS
- Kuldeep’s double strike derails Pakistan’s chase
- India posted 336 against Pakistan
- `JP will loud for rights`
- India assures of cooperation to resolve rohingya crisis and Teesta deal
- Countrywide Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign June 22
- JS sitting adjourned till 3 pm tomorrow
- Areas where gas supply shut on Monday
- 136 official promoted as Joint Secretary
- FSA chair exempted from contempt charge
- `Swajan` service to prisoners
- SC cancels Hallmark chairman’s bail
- Over 40% of newly elected Indian lawmakers facing charges
- Huge crowds march call for city leader to step down
- Have you ever said to father? `Love you`
- Heatwave kills 40 in Bihar in a day
- Journos’ 9th wage-board declaration soon
- Temperature may rise by (1-2)° C
- Pakistan bowl against arch-rivals India
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Momen urges to expedite Teesta deal
- Jail prisoners get high-quality food in breakfast
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight with BGB
- Driver-helper killed as truck overturns
- Saudi Arabia blames Iran for tanker attacks
- Tax rebate if organization will recruit physically challenged
- Pakistan meets India this afternoon
- Murtaja not be executed, Saudis say
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Health checkup for Hajj pilgrims begins on June 16
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Holy Eid al-Adha on Aug 12!
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- BJP-TMC clash killed 4 killed in India`s West Bengal
- Class XI admission results published
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- JS budget session begins today
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- England wins beating Windies
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Che Guevara’s 91st birth anniv today
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’