Encephalitis from lychees kills 31 children in India: official
Published: 04:07 PM, 12 June 2019
At least 31 children have died in northern India in the last 10 days from a deadly brain disease believed linked to a toxic substance found in lychee fruit, health officials said Wednesday.
The deaths were reported from two hospitals in Bihar state’s Muzaffarpur district, famed for it lush lychee orchards, officials said.
The children all showed symptoms of Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), senior health official Ashok Kumar Singh told AFP, adding most had suffered a sudden loss of glucose in their blood.
“The health department has already issued an advisory for people to take care of their children during the hot summer when day temperature is above 40 degreed Celsius (104 Fahrenheit),” Singh said.
At least 40 other children complaining of similar symptoms were being treated at intensive care units.
“We are trying our best to save them,” said S.P. Singh, the chief medical officer of Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital.
The outbreaks of the disease have happened annually during summer months in Muzaffarpur and neighboring districts since 1995, typically coinciding with the litchi season.
Known locally as Chamki Bukhar, the disease had claimed a record 150 lives in 2014.
In 2015, US researchers had said the brain disease could be linked to a toxic substance found in the exotic fruit.
They also said more study was needed to uncover the cause of the illness, which leads to seizures, altered mental state, and death in more than a third of cases.
Outbreaks of neurological illness have also been observed in lychee-growing regions of Bangladesh and Vietnam.
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- Libya killings: RAB arrested 2 more human traffickers in Gopalgan
- Horrific knife attack at Chinese primary school, 41 injured
- Workers’ trimming from Jun: BGMEA president
- PM places three proposals for durable use of aquatic sources
- ‘BNP making a regular complaint against govt’
- Trade thru Sonamasjid resumes
- Faridpur reports 30 more COVID-19 cases
- Policeman killed in road crash
- Biman cancels domestic flights till Saturday
- 2,423 new infected, 35 die in 24 hours
- India records highest deaths, infections in a day
- Two motorcyclists crushed by bus at Bangla Motor
- War-plagued Yemen goes wrecked in two epidemics
- Countrymen to witness different ‘Lunar eclipse’ tomorrow
- Mannan becomes Secretary of Health Service Division
- Yoga to relieve constipation
- Two more trains operational from today
- Veteran Bollywood lyricist Anwar Sagar dies
- WHO resumes hydroxychloroquine study for COVID-19
- Rain likely in many places including the capital
- Brazil records highest 27,312 daily coronavirus cases again
- Wife-children did not near to deceased in fear of coronavirus
- George Floyd had coronavirus
- Businessman died of coronavirus in Feni
- Hearing on writ against public transport fare-hike today
- Spain recorded one coronavirus death in four days
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Happy Birthday Angelina Jolie
- 6 sued over deaths in United Hospital fire
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- SSC result today: How to pre-register