Ekushey Book Fair extended by two days
Published: 10:03 PM, 28 February 2019
The Ekushey book fair has been extended for two days with Prime Minister's directive after demands of the writers and publishers.
Senior Information Officer Faisal Hasan, of the Ministry of Cultural Affairs, confirmed the information on Thursday.
He said, in the evening, the Prime Minister ordered for the extension of the Ekushey Book Fair for two days. As a result, the fair will continue until March 2.
On the other hand, State Minister for Cultural Affairs KM Khalid Babu announced that it will end next Saturday.
The publishers had called for the extension after rains destroyed different stalls and thousands of books, disrupting the fair in mid-February.
“We have expressed sorrow over the damage and sufferings of the publishers due to storm and rains,” the state minister said while announcing the extension at the closing ceremony on Thursday.
Khalid said he had discussed the issue with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and she instructed the extension of the fair by two days.
The government also considered a program marking Bangabandhu’s historic Mar 7, 1971 speech at the Suhrawardy Udyan while agreeing to the extension, he added.
- New virus cases soar in S.Korea
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- 2 held over schoolgirl rape in B`baria
- Amar Ekushey observed in CU
- Kohli to play Mujib Year`s T20Is
- Seven-day book fair begins in Dinajpur
- GP agrees to pay Tk 1000cr to BTRC
- Rodela Jannat knot tie with Sujon
- A win can change whole situation: Mominul
- UN publishes report in Bengali on Language Day
- 4 killed in Mymensingh road crash
- BNP fails to deliver politics for mass people: Hasan
- Poonam four-fer shocks Australia in tournament opener
- Metro Rail: Advantages and Benefits
- Barbed fence can`t stop language: Swapan
- Padma Bridge now 3750 meters visible
- India set 133 target for Australia
- Tigers’ humble tribute for Language Martyrs
- 5200 candle lit commemorating Language Heroes
- Human trafficker killed in Teknaf gunfire
- India elected to bat
- Opening match: Australia vs India
- Gunfight at RAB checkpoint, 1 found dead
- Sound pollution, duo arrests in Ctg
- Crowd erupted at Cumilla Shaheed Minar
- Amar Ekushey Prabhat Feri observed in Sylhet
- 2 BCL leaders crashed to fetch flowers
- Tribute procession to Ctg Central Shaheed Minar
- Prabhat Feri observed in Shariatpur
- More 115 killed in lethal COVID-19 in a day
- All News »
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Soumya with future wife
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- Sundarbans Day today
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj