11th Parliamentary election
Eight members of Bangabandhu family to contest elections
Published: 08:27 PM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 08:51 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Eight members of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman family will contest the upcoming national election from nine constituencies.
Awami League declared 281 candidates, including their names, to contest the election from 230 seats.
Two new members of Bangabandhu family have got tickets from Awami League to contest the 11th parliamentary elections while six other members got tickets in the previous election.
The eight members are Sheikh Hasina, Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh, Sheikh Helal Uddin, Noor-E-Alam Chowdhury Liton, Abul Hasanat Abdullah, Sheikh Sarhan Naser Tonmoy andSheikh Salahuddin Jewel.
Tonmoy, the only son of Bangabandhu's nephew Sheikh Helal Uddin, will contest the polls from Bagerhat-2 constituency.
Advocate Mir Showkat Ali Badsha is the current Member of Parliament from this constituency.
Sheikh Salahuddin Jewel, another new member, and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's cousin, is set to compete from Khulna-2.
Helal's brother Jewel will also be running for office from the Khulna-2 constituency instead of the incumbent MP Mohammad Mizanur Rahman.
Six members of Bangabandhu's family, who are the members of the 10th parliament, will again participate in the upcoming election.
Prime Minister Hasina, the eldest daughter of Bangabandhu, is the incumbent Member of Parliament from Gopalganj-3 constituency while her cousin and Awami League Presidium member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim was elected MP from Gopalganj 2.
Prime Minister Hasina will contest the upcoming election from Gopalganj-3 and Rangpur-6 constituencies.
Hasina's cousin Helal, the current MP from Bagerhat-1, will fight in the 11th election. His father Sheikh Abu Naser was Bangabandhu's only brother.
Bangabandhu's nephew Sheikh Fazlul Haque Moni's son Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh, an MP from Dhaka-10 constituency, will also join the election race.
A nephew of the Prime Minister, Noor-E-Alam Chowdhury Liton of Madaripur-1 and central Awami League leader Abul Hasanat Abdullah, another cousin of Hasina, will compete for the election.
Both are the members of parliament of the 10thparliament.
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- Transplantation of boro paddy seedling gets momentum
- NASA greenlights SpaceX crew capsule test to ISS
- Two killed in Pekua clash
- We are on a rise as a team: Hetmyer
- UN Secy General condoles deaths in Chawkbazar fire
- Sadman, Riyad, Miraz strikes fifty in warm-up
- 7 drug traders among 30 held in Dinajpur
- Village doctor shot dead in Teknaf
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky likely
- ‘Chemical godowns not removed despite drives is regretful’
- 1,482 bottles of Phensidyl recovered in Jashore
- Father, son among 4 killed in road crashes
- Sudan President declares year-long state of emergency
- PM at burn unit of DMCH
- 50 die after drinking poisonous liquor in India
- 5 decades of Bangabandhu title
- PM to visit Chawkbazar fire victims at DMCH today
- La Liga: Barcelona to face Sevilla tonight
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- Evidence of ‘chemical’ connection to Churihatta fire found
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- BNP chalks out 2-day programme to mark Feb 21
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire