11th Parliamentary election
Eight members of Bangabandhu family to contest elections
Published: 08:27 PM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 08:51 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Eight members of the Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman family will contest the upcoming national election from nine constituencies.
Awami League declared 281 candidates, including their names, to contest the election from 230 seats.
Two new members of Bangabandhu family have got tickets from Awami League to contest the 11th parliamentary elections while six other members got tickets in the previous election.
The eight members are Sheikh Hasina, Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim, Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh, Sheikh Helal Uddin, Noor-E-Alam Chowdhury Liton, Abul Hasanat Abdullah, Sheikh Sarhan Naser Tonmoy andSheikh Salahuddin Jewel.
Tonmoy, the only son of Bangabandhu's nephew Sheikh Helal Uddin, will contest the polls from Bagerhat-2 constituency.
Advocate Mir Showkat Ali Badsha is the current Member of Parliament from this constituency.
Sheikh Salahuddin Jewel, another new member, and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's cousin, is set to compete from Khulna-2.
Helal's brother Jewel will also be running for office from the Khulna-2 constituency instead of the incumbent MP Mohammad Mizanur Rahman.
Six members of Bangabandhu's family, who are the members of the 10th parliament, will again participate in the upcoming election.
Prime Minister Hasina, the eldest daughter of Bangabandhu, is the incumbent Member of Parliament from Gopalganj-3 constituency while her cousin and Awami League Presidium member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim was elected MP from Gopalganj 2.
Prime Minister Hasina will contest the upcoming election from Gopalganj-3 and Rangpur-6 constituencies.
Hasina's cousin Helal, the current MP from Bagerhat-1, will fight in the 11th election. His father Sheikh Abu Naser was Bangabandhu's only brother.
Bangabandhu's nephew Sheikh Fazlul Haque Moni's son Sheikh Fazle Noor Taposh, an MP from Dhaka-10 constituency, will also join the election race.
A nephew of the Prime Minister, Noor-E-Alam Chowdhury Liton of Madaripur-1 and central Awami League leader Abul Hasanat Abdullah, another cousin of Hasina, will compete for the election.
Both are the members of parliament of the 10thparliament.
- Woman commits suicide after poisoning 2 children
- Motorcyclist killed in Manikganj road crash
- Papua New Guinea PM Peter O`Neill resigns
- Two killed as covered van hits pickup
- England, Australia to play WC Warm Up today
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Archer named in England World Cup squad
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Mango bean to control diabetes
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- 4 of a family killed in gas cylinder blast