Ecnec okays 7 projects worth Tk 11,042 cr
Published: 03:55 PM, 7 January 2020 Updated: 04:01 PM, 7 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina presided over a meeting of the ECNEC on Tuesday at the NEC Conference Room in Dhaka`s Sher-e-Bangla Nagar area. - PID
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) on Tuesday approved a total of seven projects involving an overall estimated cost of Tk 11,042.14 crore - including a Tk 8,850.74 crore project to ensure safe water across the country.
The approval came at a meeting of the ECNEC with its Chairperson and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the chair held at the NEC Conference Room in the capitals' Sher-e-Bangla Nagar area.
Six of the approved seven projects are new while another one is a revised project, Planning Minister MA Mannan said while briefing the reporters after the meeting.
“All the seven projects cost will come from the government,” he added.
The planning minister said the Department of Public Health and Engineering under the Ministry of LGRD will implement the safe drinking water supply project by June 2025.
The main project operations include setting up of some 90636 non deep tube wells and 1,23,877 deep tube wells, installation of some 2,06,664 submersible pumps and non-deep tube wells and 1,70,222 submersible pumps and deep tube wells with reservoirs, 3,379 ring wells, 3,210 rain water harvesting units, rolling out of some 491 rural piped water supply schemes, erecting of some 320 solar PSF, some 29570 arsenic iron removal plants and some 8838 community based water supply units.
The minister said once the project is implemented, it would be possible to ensure safe water supply in the rural areas.
Revealing the implementation status of the Annual Development Programme (ADP) for the July-December period of the current fiscal year, Mannan said the executing agencies could spend Tk 56,712.57 crore during the first six months of current fiscal with an implementation rate of 26.36 percent.
The ADP implementation rate during the July-December period of the last fiscal year was 27.45 percent with an expenditure of Tk 49,644.80 crore.
The planning minister said the government is not at all worried about the implementation status of the ADP as the implementing agencies could spend more amount in the current fiscal compared to the previous fiscal.
He said Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in the meeting asked the authorities concerned including the Ministry of Road Transport and Bridges and local administrations so that no sand quarrying takes place just beneath the bridges or adjacent to the pillars of the bridges.
The prime minister also stressed the need for giving more importance on surface water and rain water harvesting through cutting dependency on underground water, Mannan said.
The premier also suggested auctioning the old and dilapidated Bailey bridges which are now not needed as well as to replace those with new bridges, he said.
Referring to the approval of today’s four transport sector projects, Mannan said the government would gradually upgrade all the inter-district highways into four lanes alongside increasing the thickness and strength of other roads.
Besides, the old and dilapidated bridges would be replaced with new ones, he added.
The other projects approved in the meeting are – Increasing the road embankment height, pavement reconstruction and widening at Singra portion on Singra-Gurudaspur-Chatmohar road with an expense of Tk 135.71 crore, Upgrading Puthia-Baghmara Highway into due standard and width with Tk 130.83 crore, Some 3.765 kilometers River Bank embankment permanent protection work to protect the Doarika Bridge from the erosion of River Sugandha with Tk 283.52 crore, Replacing the existing Bailey and RCC Bridges (Dhaka Zone) at narrow and important points with Tk 1190.78 crore, Establishment of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Novo Theatre, Barishal with Tk 412 crore and Extension of Narsingdi BSCIC Industrial Estate, 1st revised, with an additional cost of Tk 38.56 crore.
Ministers and State Ministers attended the meeting while Planning Commission members and secretaries concerned were present.
- Child killed in Netrokona road crash
- Youth dies crushed under train in capital
- 4 businesses fined in Akhaura
- Know the exact time of meditation
- Beware of 10 mistakes while using mobile phone
- 54 held in anti-narcotic drives
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- BNP calls parliamentary board meeting
- Zambian Army commander meets Bangladesh Army Chief
- ‘I saw my baby boy burnt during gang rape’
- 2 held over rape of schoolgirl in Bhola
- Korea to give coronavirus detecting machine to Bangladesh
- ICC unveil Women`s T20 World Cup trophy
- Journey of ‘Adventure of Sundarban’ from March
- Youth killed over bike collision with tree
- Coronavirus: Father hides son
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Faf du Plessis steps down as South Africa captain
- Smoking in the office, use contractors’ cars!
- Youth lynched in Bagerhat
- Biker killed on way to relative’s funeral
- Barapukuria Coal Mine graft case: Hearing on Mar 29
- 3 members of Rohingya trafficking gang held
- ‘Digital’ irregularities in digital machine
- Whomever you voted, I am Chief Minister of all: Kejriwal
- Absconding murder accused arrested after 29 yrs
- US not to take back its 40 corona affected nationals
- Housewife commits suicide over family dispute
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- All News »
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Soumya to get married this month
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Soumya with future wife
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Uniform entry test in public universities from this year
- Integrated admission test for all public universities from now
- South Africa faces England in 1st T20 today
- Sundarbans Day today