Earthquake stuck Iran: 5 killed, 300 injured
Published: 11:29 AM, 8 November 2019 Updated: 03:19 PM, 8 November 2019
A magnitude 5.9 earthquake struck northwestern Iran early Friday, killing at least five people and injuring over 300 others, officials said.
The temblor struck Tark county in Iran's Eastern Azerbaijan province at 2:17 a.m., Iran's seismological center said. The area is some 400 kilometers (250 miles) northwest of Iran's capital, Tehran.
Over 40 aftershocks rattled the rural region nestled in the Alborz Mountains, and residents rushed out of their homes in fear. The quake injured at least 312 people, state television reported, though only 13 needed to be hospitalized. It described many of the injuries happening when people fled in panic.
The head of Iran's emergency medical services, Pirhossein Koulivand, gave the casualty figures to state television. There were no immediate video or images broadcast from the area.
Rescuers have been dispatched to the region, officials said. State TV reported the earthquake destroyed 30 homes at its epicenter.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake's epicenter was at a depth of 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). Shallow earthquakes tend to cause more damage.
Iran is on major seismic faults and experiences one earthquake a day on average. In 2003, a magnitude 6.6 earthquake flattened the historic city of Bam, killing 26,000 people.
A magnitude 7 earthquake that struck western Iran in 2017 killed more than 600 people and injured more than 9,000.
- Miking for salt price hike rumors
- Rumors rising salt price though adequate reserve
- BFF announces squad for SA Games
- If extra price for salt; call 999
- Results of BRUR admission test published
- German industry sees deep slump in 2019
- Time extended for SSC form-fill-up
- Swedish prosecutor drops Assange rape investigation
- Salt market under control in 30 munites
- Luis Enrique returns as Spain boss
- BMP calls for arrest involved in Nilphamari incident
- UN `alarmed` dozens may be dead in Iran protests
- Pakistan considers debut for 16-year-old pacer
- Women making significant contributions to national economy: Palak
- Country has buffer stock of salt for next four months
- Young Tigers whitewash Sri Lanka
- 1 killed in Cox`s Bazar gas cylinder explosion
- Brazil beat South Korea 3-0
- Venezuela ride on Rondon’s hat-trick
- Moscow to help establish ’71 genocide museum
- Bourses end flat
- Egypt marks Suez Canal’s 150th anniversary
- Netanyahu celebrates US settlement decision in West Bank
- 3 salt traders fined in Dinajpur
- Tk 350 cr revenue on 6th day
- Man City`s revenue rises to £535 million
- Tk 2 lakhs fined over salt-onion price boosting
- One held over facebook post on salt price hike
- Quake 5.3 magnitude jolts India
- Jail for spreading rumors over salt
- All News »
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- 7 teams announced for Bangabandhu BPL
- Incredible! - ‘This picture is hand-painted!’
- Swechchhasebok League’s council today
- Eight allegations of genocide against Myanmar
- B’baria train collision: Death toll climbs to 16
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Building collapsed in Ctg gasline blast: 7 killed, 25 injured
- After ‘Bulbul’, now cyclone ‘Nakri’ forming in Bay
- Case filed against Suu Kyi at Argentina court
- 7 bogies of Rangpur Express derail; fire at 3
- Messi on target as Argentina beat Brazil
- Tigers opt to bat
- Graduation at 9!
- Firefighters who saved house, apologise for drinking milk
- Bangabandhu BPL players draft starts
- Dhaka rope Mashrafe, Tamim
- PM seeks larger UAE investment in Bangladesh
- Bangladeshi scientist discover `Chives` alternative to onion
- 3 including loco master, director of Turna suspended
- PM blames Ziaur Rahman for Rohingya crisis
- The voyage home: Japan’s Hayabusa-2 probe to head for Earth
- 43 Students received ‘Quran’ as gift
- BPL Players’ draft: Who in which team
- Malaysia to hire Bangladeshi workers at low cost
- Sand-laden vessel sinks in Meghna being hit by launch: 3 missing
- Fire burns Rangpur Express (Video)
- Abrar murder: Chargesheet submitted against 25
- Happy Birthday to legend of Bengali Literature
- Swechchhasebok League gets new President, GS