EU court dubs Uber a transport service
Published: 06:52 PM, 20 December 2017
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Ride-hailing app Uber provides a transport service and can be regulated like traditional taxis, the European Union’s top court said on Wednesday in a landmark ruling that will determine the rules Uber and its rivals have to respect in Europe.
“The service provided by Uber connecting individuals with non-professional drivers is covered by services in the field of transport,” the European Court of Justice (ECJ) said.
“Member states can, therefore, regulate the conditions for providing that service,” it said.
Uber - which has clashed with local and national regulators in Europe since its launch there six years ago - had argued it was simply a digital app that acted as an intermediary between drivers and customers looking for a ride and so ought to fall under lighter EU rules for online services.
The case follows a complaint from a professional taxi drivers’ association in Barcelona that Uber’s activities in Spain amounted to misleading practices and unfair competition from Uber’s use of non-professional drivers - a service Uber calls UberPOP.
The ECJ said Uber “exercises decisive influence over the conditions under which the drivers provide their service” and that without the Uber mobile app “persons who wish to make an urban journey would not use the services provided by those drivers.”
The ruling is not likely to have an immediate impact on Uber’s operations in Europe, where it already operates under local transportation laws and has cut back its use of unlicensed services such as UberPOP.
“This ruling will not change things in most EU countries where we already operate under transportation law,” an Uber spokeswoman said in a statement.
“As our new CEO has said, it is appropriate to regulate services such as Uber and so we will continue the dialogue with cities across Europe. This is the approach we’ll take to ensure everyone can get a reliable ride at the tap of a button.”
The Silicon Valley giant is in the middle of a legal battle over its right to operate in London, its most important European market.
- Swastika Mukherjee in Bangladeshi movie
- BCB meets with Domingo-Shakib
- Scarlett Johansson: World`s most expensive actress
- JaPa to start nomination paper sale Sunday
- Teenage gang: A name of terror
- Woman kills sleeping husband
- Ten symptoms of uterus cancer
- Mosharraf Karim in Kolkata film!
- Saif hits ton but Bangladesh HP lost ODI series to SL
- Rahul Gandhi denied entry to Kashmir, sent back from airport
- Man in 3 different govt jobs at same time!
- People pay final tributes to Muzaffar Ahmed
- UAE woman seeks divorce for loving her too much!
- 3 including mother-son killed in Faridpur road crash
- 8 kills as bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing
- Road fill with holes!
- Sylhet Sixers’ payment dispute with BCB solved
- 185 killed in 135 road crash during Eid holidays
- Modi to receive ‘Order of Zayed’
- Sri Lanka 244 all out in 1st innings
- Pori Moni spreads warmth in dawn’s avatar
- Magura police explained ban on shaggy style haircutting
- SAFF U-15 Championship: Bangladesh take on SL
- 4 Bangladeshis killed in Medina road crash
- Two RAB ASPs promoted as Addl SP
- Dengue claims minor child in M’singh
- Baby alive though trains passed over!
- Bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing, kills 6
- Mim offers night call over phone
- Why is part of the Amazon burning?
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- PEC exam schedule published
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!