EC’s prep for election questionable: Rizvi
Published: 07:11 PM, 28 November 2018 Updated: 07:11 PM, 28 November 2018
BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi alleged that the Election Commission’s preparation for holding the next general election is questionable as it could not yet appoint election officials to 85 upazilas.
He alleged this at a press conference at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office on Wednesday.
He said, “People’s apprehension over a credible election is gradually deepening due to the activities of the Commission and the ruling party leaders.”
“The Election Commission’s overall preparation for the election is questionable. We’re observing that all signs for holding a unilateral election are getting clear with the passage of time,” he alleged.
The BNP leader further said, "The Election Commission still didn’t appoint election officials at 85 upazilas. A move is on to appoint pro-government officials from different ministries to those upazilas to conduct the election as part of a government plot.”
Rizvi said that the ruling party leaders are regularly holding meetings with government officials to turn the election results into their favor.
He said, “Awami League’s game plan is very clear that only the ruling party and its cohorts will be there in the politics of Bangladesh.”
The BNP leader also said the ruling party leaders’ statements have indicated that they are planning to rig votes indulging in 'terrorism'.
He claimed that deputy secretary Niyamat Ullah Bhuiyan, who was sent on forced retirement, was taken to the Rab-2 office from his residence on Tuesday night for an hour, but he did not return home until Wednesday morning. “It’s an appalling message.”
The BNP leader demanded that the government ensure a safe return of Bhuiyan to his home.
Rizvi alleged that police raided the Shantinagar residence of late BNP leader Tariqul Islam’s son and party candidate Aninda Islam Amith on Tuesday night. “We strongly condemn it.”
He said police continued harassing their party leaders and activists at different parts of the country by raiding their houses.
The BNP leader also criticized Attorney General Mahbubey Alam for his remark that BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia cannot participate in the election. “His remark is ill-motivated. The country’s people have got stunned with his comment.”
He claimed that their chairperson is eligible for contesting the election, saying there is no legal bar in this regard as some ruling party leaders and ex-president HM Ershad earlier joined the election when their appeal was pending with the court.
- Australia bowled out for 250
- 231 students` result changes in review
- Protest for free elections in Russia
- Biman’s return Hajj flight lands in Dhaka
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Quader alerts AL men to BNP-Jamaat conspiracies
- BCB announces prelim squad for AFG test, Tri-series
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Cop caught taking bribe day after getting best constable award
- Facebook adds Chakma as 2nd Bangladeshi language
- Fire breaks out Delhi hospital
- Masrafe asks BCB for two months to decide future
- 4 of a family burnt in Gazipur fire
- Rawhide sale suspended till Sunday
- Priyanka Chopra reveals Jonas’ bedroom secret
- 1460 dengue patients hospitalized in 24hrs
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- 6 buses fined for charging extra fare
- Soumitra transferred to cabin from ICU
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kid drowns in Shakhipur
- Smartphone for blood pressure detection
- First return Hajj flight arrives in Dhaka
- Mgst described severe suffering in govt hospital
- Russell Domingo appointed Tigers’ head coach
- Eight killed in Ukraine hotel fire
- No MoU, 2 FMs dialog only
- College student dies of dengue in Magura
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Husband arrested in triple talaq case
- All News »
- Shaykh Muhammad bin Hassan to recite Khutba at Hajj
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- Three movies to be released on Eid
- Heavy rain pours down on Hajj pilgrims at Arafat
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Rabeya opens her eyes, Rokeya still unconscious
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- 2m pilgrims gathered in Arafat
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Holidaymakers suffer in train schedule catastrophe
- Man. City. Everton to play tonight
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 7 plays of Humayun to be aired on Eid
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC