ECNEC approves 10 projects including infrastructure development in three districts
Published: 03:44 PM, 4 May 2021 Updated: 04:32 PM, 4 May 2021
The Executive Committee of the National Economic Council (ECNEC) has approved 10 projects, including rural infrastructure development in Cumilla, Brahmanbaria and Chandpur districts. The total cost for the implementation of these projects has been estimated at Tk 11,901.33 crore.
The projects were approved at the ECNEC meeting on Tuesday. ECNEC Chairperson and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina presided over the meeting by joining the NEC Conference Room in Sher-e-Bangla Nagar via video conference from Ganobhaban in the capital.
Concerned ministers and secretaries were present in the NEC conference room. After the meeting, Planning Minister MA Mannan gave details at a press conference.
The Planning Minister said the ECNEC has approved the Local Government Division’s ‘Development of Important Rural Infrastructure in Cumilla, Brahmanbaria and Chandpur districts’ project worth Tk 2,500 crore. “The project will be implemented by the Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) from January this year to June 2025.”
The quality of life and short-and-long-term employment will be created for the rural people by increasing the transportation facilities of villages, markets, health centers, educational institutions and other service providers, he further said.
“The project would reduce the cost of transportation and increase the production and marketing of agricultural and non-agricultural products by improving the overall communication system of 34 upazilas of Cumilla, Brahmanbaria and Chandpur districts,” said Md. Zakir Hossain, a member of the Department of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Institutions on ECNEC recommendation of the Planning Commission.
Other approved projects are:
1. The total cost of the project titled ‘Establishment of Telecommunication Networks in Economic Zones (Phase I)’ of the Posts and Telecommunications Division or Ministry of Posts, Telecommunications and Information Technology has been estimated at Tk 95.12 crore. Following the approval, the project will be implemented by Bangladesh Telecommunications Company Limited (BTCL) from January this year to June 2023.
2. The total cost of the project of the Road Transport and Highways Division’s ‘Construction of Panguchi Bridge on Panguchi River at 17-km of Signboard-Morelganj-Rayenda- Sharankhola-Bogi Road (R-779)’ has been estimated at Tk 912.33 crore. After the approval of ECNEC, the project will be implemented by the Roads and Highway Divisions (RHD) from February this year to June 2025. The project will provide foreign loans of Tk 399.82 crore.
3. ECNEC approved the project of the Ministry of Youth and Sports for the construction of ‘Sheikh Russel Mini Stadium at the Upazila Level (Phase II)’. The project will be implemented by the National Sports Council from July 2020 to June 2024. The project will cost Tk 1,649.32 crore.
4. ECNEC has approved the project of the Ministry of Culture’s ‘Construction of a Multi-storey Building for National Public Library’ at a cost of Tk 524.25 lakh. It will be implemented by the National Public Library and the Public Works Department from July 2020 to June 2024.
5. ‘Super Specialized Hospital (1st Amendment) under Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU)’ of Medical Education and Family Welfare Division, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare – was taken up at the ECNEC meeting for revision without extension of cost. The project was extended for two years through amendments. The revised term has been extended to December 2022. The project is being implemented by BSMMU at a cost of Tk 1,561.18 crore. EDCF and Korea are lending Tk 1,047.33 crore for the project and Tk 175 crore is being spent from BSMMU’s own funds.
6. ‘Road Development and Construction of Bridge or Culvert from Karigar Para to Bilaichhari in Rangamati district’ project has approved at a cost of Tk 338.554 crore. It will be implemented by the LGED from January 2021 to June 2024
7. ‘Flood Control, Drainage and Irrigation in Patiya upazila of Chattogram District’ project of the Ministry of Water Resources has approved in today’s ECNEC meeting at a cost of Tk 1,158.36 crore. It will be implemented by Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB) from February this year to June 2024.
8. Another ‘Teesta Irrigation Project Command Area Rehabilitation and Expansion’ project of the Ministry of Water Resources was approved by ECNEC at a cost of Tk 1,452.33 crore will be implemented by the Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB) from this year to June 2024.
9. ECNEC approves the ‘Modernization and Capacity Building (Khulna Division) of Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board (BREF)’ project of Power Division has been approved at cost of 3,076.22 crores will be implemented by BREF.