EC trashes 786 nomination papers; appeal must be by Dec 5
Published: 09:02 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 10:16 PM, 2 December 2018
Returning officers on Sunday canceled 786 nomination papers, out of total 3,065, submitted by contestants in 300 constituencies to contest the 11th parliamentary elections.
According to the factsheet of the Election Commission Secretariat, a total of 2,279 nomination papers were declared valid while 786 invalids during the scrutiny by 66 returning officers across the country.
However, the aspirants whose nomination papers were canceled can file appeals with the Election Commission by December 5.
“If anyone becomes aggrieved with the decisions of the returning officers, he/she will have to lodge the appeal with the appeal authority of the EC within three days after the scrutiny,” said EC joint secretary Farhad Ahammad Khan.
Subsequently, the EC will dispose of the appeals following hearing within the next three days -- December 6-8, he said.
The last date for the withdrawal of candidature is December 9 and the electoral symbols will be allocated on December 10.
Some 3,065 aspirants submitted nomination papers in the country's 300 constituencies within the deadline that expired on November 30 to take part in the national election slated for December 30.
Of the total 3,065 aspirants, 281 AL probable candidates submitted nomination papers in 264 constituencies, while 696 BNP contestants in 295 parliamentary seats, 233 Jatiya Party aspirants in 210 constituencies.
Besides, 498 independent aspirants also submitted nomination papers.
BNP fielded more than one candidate in most of the constituencies while AL in 17 and Jatiya Party in 23 constituencies.
But the parties will have to confirm their final candidates before the withdrawal of candidature in these parliamentary seats.
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Marcelo lost his place due to bad display against Barca
- Reza directs CDA to gear up projects to improve services
- US Treasury Sec Mnuchin calls China trade talks `productive`
- Spanish PM calls snap polls after budget defeat
- PM leaves for Abu Dhabi tonight
- Swiss actor Bruno Ganz, who played Hitler, dies at 77
- `Acquire knowledge on literature`
- CTTC arrested two JMB men
- BCC receives two int’l awards
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Surplus potato will be exported: Tipu
- Heroic Perera ton helps Sri Lanka to thrilling victory
- `Runa Laila` with new song
- Bus-autorickshaw clash kills 3 in Sylhet
- Diet drinks increase stroke risk
- DMP chief alert police against injustice
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- All 49 reserved seats elected uncontested
- ‘Shahidullah Kaiser’ recall
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- One held over Lalmonirhat gang rape
- Farmers` profit in mustard
- Are Carbs good or bad?
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Hasan inducted `Bangladesh Film Festival` in Calcutta
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Al Mahmud’s namaz-e-janaza held at Baitul Mukarram
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Pakistan backs group behind suicide bomb: Iran
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Trinamool Lawmaker shot dead in West Bengal
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’