Appeal submission over nomination continues for 2nd day
EC to dispose of petitions neutrally: EC Talukder
Published: 06:50 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 06:50 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Election Commissioner Mahbub Talukder said that the Election Commission (EC) will neutrally dispose of appeals filed against the decisions of the returning officers over rejection and acceptance of nomination papers.
He said, “Those who’re filing petitions their appeals will be disposed of in a legal and neutral way.”
Mahbub Talukder said this on Tuesday noon while visiting booths set up to receive appeals on the premises of Nirbachan Bhaban.
In reply to a question whether the EC will ensure justice in the disposal of the appeals, the Election Commissioner said the justice is a relative matter. But the Election Commission will take the decision hearing all partners of the appeals, he added.
Mahbub Talukder said he had been there to visit the booths to know whether the petitioners face troubles in filing their appeals.
The Election Commission on Tuesday set up eight booths on its secretariat’s premises for registering petitions from the aggrieved aspirants of the country’s eight divisions.
The Commission on Monday started receiving appeals at its reception room. A total of 84 petitions were received on the first day.
On the second day, more than 150 petitions were submitted till 4:00 pm.
Former Jatiya Party Secretary General ABM Ruhul Amin Howlader (Patuakhali-1), Jatiya Party aspirant film actor Sohel Rana (Barishal-2), BNP aspirant Sabira Sultana (Jashore-2) and BNP aspirant Barrister Mir Mohammad Helaluddin who happens to be son of BNP leader Mir Mohammad Nasir (Chattogram-5) were among those who submitted the petition.
The EC, which has the appellate jurisdiction, will also receive the petition on Wednesday.
The Commission will dispose of the petitions on December 6-8 following hearings. The quasi-judicial body has already set up the hearing rooms at the Nirbachan Bhaban.
Even if anyone is aggrieved with the EC’s decision in this regard, the person will go to the High Court to seek a solution.
Returning officers on Sunday accepted total 2,279 nomination papers and turned down 786 others submitted in the country's 300 constituencies to contest the 11th national election slated for December 30.
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- War would mean ‘end’ of Iran: Trump
- Snatcher killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Quader returns home this evening
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader to join his office today
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg
- Tigers storm into final with emphatic win
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today