Appeal submission over nomination continues for 2nd day
EC to dispose of petitions neutrally: EC Talukder
Published: 06:50 PM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 06:50 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Election Commissioner Mahbub Talukder said that the Election Commission (EC) will neutrally dispose of appeals filed against the decisions of the returning officers over rejection and acceptance of nomination papers.
He said, “Those who’re filing petitions their appeals will be disposed of in a legal and neutral way.”
Mahbub Talukder said this on Tuesday noon while visiting booths set up to receive appeals on the premises of Nirbachan Bhaban.
In reply to a question whether the EC will ensure justice in the disposal of the appeals, the Election Commissioner said the justice is a relative matter. But the Election Commission will take the decision hearing all partners of the appeals, he added.
Mahbub Talukder said he had been there to visit the booths to know whether the petitioners face troubles in filing their appeals.
The Election Commission on Tuesday set up eight booths on its secretariat’s premises for registering petitions from the aggrieved aspirants of the country’s eight divisions.
The Commission on Monday started receiving appeals at its reception room. A total of 84 petitions were received on the first day.
On the second day, more than 150 petitions were submitted till 4:00 pm.
Former Jatiya Party Secretary General ABM Ruhul Amin Howlader (Patuakhali-1), Jatiya Party aspirant film actor Sohel Rana (Barishal-2), BNP aspirant Sabira Sultana (Jashore-2) and BNP aspirant Barrister Mir Mohammad Helaluddin who happens to be son of BNP leader Mir Mohammad Nasir (Chattogram-5) were among those who submitted the petition.
The EC, which has the appellate jurisdiction, will also receive the petition on Wednesday.
The Commission will dispose of the petitions on December 6-8 following hearings. The quasi-judicial body has already set up the hearing rooms at the Nirbachan Bhaban.
Even if anyone is aggrieved with the EC’s decision in this regard, the person will go to the High Court to seek a solution.
Returning officers on Sunday accepted total 2,279 nomination papers and turned down 786 others submitted in the country's 300 constituencies to contest the 11th national election slated for December 30.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire