EC resumes last day hearing of high profile candidates
Published: 11:41 AM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 11:41 AM, 8 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The Election Commission (EC) resumed hearing on the appeal of high profile leaders among the candidates whose candidature was canceled in the 11th parliamentary elections.
RC started hearing for the last day on Saturday on the petitions filed against the decisions of the returning officers over the rejection and acceptance of nomination papers in different constituencies.
The EC will hear and dispose of the remaining 233 petitions, including three of jailed BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia.
The EC’s third-day hearing started 10:00 am at the Nirbachan Bhaban with Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda in the chair.
Krishak Sramik Janata League President Kader Siddiqui and Gano Forum general secretary Mostafa Mohsin Montu are also among the 233 contestants whose appeals will be disposed of on the final day.
The returning officers accepted a total of 2,279 nomination papers and canceled 786 others submitted in the 300 constituencies of the country.
A total of 543 petitions were filed with the EC, the appellate authority, seeking that the decisions of returning officers be overturned.
The Commission started its hearing and disposing of the petitions on Thursday.
The EC heard a total of 310 petitions in the first two days.
So far, some 158 aspirants, including BNP’s 60, got back their candidatures with the EC’s judgment.
If anyone is even aggrieved with the EC’s judgment, the person can go to the High Court seeking redress.
The last date for withdrawal of the candidature is December 9.
In case of multiple candidates in a single constituency, a political party will have to inform the returning officer and the Election Commission about its final contender for the parliamentary seat by December 9.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized