EC issued letters to stop Bishwa Ijtema
Published: 06:48 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 09:50 AM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Election Commission (EC) has sent letters to Gazipur Deputy Commissioner, Metropolitan Police Commissioner and Police Super to stop the organizing this year’s Bishwa Ijtema to keep the law and order normal.
The EC issued this letter on Saturday after one was killed and almost 200 were injured in a clash between two groups of Tabligh Jamaat over establishing supremacy at Ijtema ground in Tongi, Gazipur.
Meanwhile, till the latest report, the situation in the Ijtema center, Tongi, Gazipur, and surrounding areas have become normal due to the intervention of local administration.
It is learned that the first phase of the Bishwa Ijtema held in January in the conflict between the leaders of Tabligh Jamaat was suspended last month.
The Election Commission issued a directive be prohibiting all gatherings in Tongi’s Ijtema field before the December 30 parliamentary polls.
According to the incident, Deoband wing Maulana Zubayer's followers occupied the Ijtema ground a few days ago and took shelter in nearby areas after the followers of Maulana Mohammad Saad Kandhalvi of Delhi Markaj announced to held Ijtema by force for five days. In this situation, the followers of Maulana Saad could not enter the ground on Friday and took shelter in nearby Mosque.
The Ijtema ground was turned into a battleground in the clash between the two sides since morning. A man named Ismail Mondal was killed in the clash. More than 200 devotees were injured. All of the injured were admitted at Tongi Government Hospital. Most of the injured were injured in the head, nose, and back. Some of them were reported to be serious.
In the morning, at least 20 people were injured in clashes between the Tabligh Jamaat-e-Saad and the Zobayer-based groups in the Uttara-10 sector of the capital. In addition, chase and counter-chase occurred between the two parties of Tabligh at the airport area.
- Two killed as covered van hits pickup
- England, Australia to play WC Warm Up today
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part II)
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized
- Archer named in England World Cup squad
- Quader for salary, bonus before 25th Ramadan
- Mango bean to control diabetes
- 4 of a family killed in gas cylinder blast