EC earns BNP’s appreciation for ‘ensuring justice’: Fakhrul
Published: 07:36 PM, 6 December 2018 Updated: 07:36 PM, 6 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir thanked the Election Commission for ‘ensuring justice’ as most of their aspirants whose nominations had been declared illegal got back their candidatures through appeals.
Talking to reporters at BNP chairperson’s Gulshan office, he also hoped that their Chairperson’s nomination will be declared valid if the Commission ensures justice to her.
“We think the declaration of most of our candidates valid is our victory. We also hope our leader Khaleda Zia will also be declared a legal candidate if justice is ensured,” he said.
Fakhrul said the Returning Officers declared illegal the nominations of many of our candidates but most of them were considered as legal runners through the Election Commission hearing. “So, I thank the Election Commission.”
He alleged that the Returning Officers declared illegal most of their candidates' nominations as they had to obey the government order and they could not ensure justice in many cases for that reason.
Replying to a question, Fakhrul said they may announce a partial list of their final candidates for different constituencies after 8:00 pm today.
He alleged that the government, being afraid of defeat, is now using state machineries to influence the election.
The BNP leader also alleged that law enforcers continued the arrest of their leaders and activists hampering their organizational activities.
He urged the government and the Election Commission to stop arresting opposition activists and create a proper election atmosphere so that all the parties can exercise their democratic rights.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized