EC also to monitor social media : EC Secy
Published: 06:48 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 06:48 PM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Alongside different government agencies, the Election Commission will also monitor the social media to check fake news and propaganda ahead of the 11th parliamentary elections, said EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed on Sunday.
He said this while talking to reporters after a meeting at Nirbachan Bhaban in the city.
Officials from the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC), Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) and other law enforcement agencies were present at the meeting.
The EC secretary said the administration has already started monitoring social media round the clock to prevent fake news and propaganda before the election. "We'll form a monitoring team of our own comprising ICT officials. It'll work from tomorrow (Monday) alongside others so the social media is not misused targeting the election and that no one can carry out propaganda there," he said.
Helal said if anyone conducts propaganda in the social media, legal action will be taken as per the Digital Security Act and other existing laws.
On November 26, the EC also held a meeting with the representatives of BTRC and National Telecommunication Monitoring Centre (NTMC), and top officials of other law enforcement agencies and mobile phone operators in this regard.
At that meeting, the Commission asked the authorities concerned to monitor the social media round-the-clock to check the spread of propaganda and rumors over the forthcoming national election.
- Govt employees salary-allowances May 28
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- War would mean ‘end’ of Iran: Trump
- Snatcher killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Quader returns home this evening
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader to join his office today
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg
- Tigers storm into final with emphatic win
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today