EC also to monitor social media : EC Secy
Published: 06:48 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 06:48 PM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Alongside different government agencies, the Election Commission will also monitor the social media to check fake news and propaganda ahead of the 11th parliamentary elections, said EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmed on Sunday.
He said this while talking to reporters after a meeting at Nirbachan Bhaban in the city.
Officials from the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC), Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of police, Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) and other law enforcement agencies were present at the meeting.
The EC secretary said the administration has already started monitoring social media round the clock to prevent fake news and propaganda before the election. "We'll form a monitoring team of our own comprising ICT officials. It'll work from tomorrow (Monday) alongside others so the social media is not misused targeting the election and that no one can carry out propaganda there," he said.
Helal said if anyone conducts propaganda in the social media, legal action will be taken as per the Digital Security Act and other existing laws.
On November 26, the EC also held a meeting with the representatives of BTRC and National Telecommunication Monitoring Centre (NTMC), and top officials of other law enforcement agencies and mobile phone operators in this regard.
At that meeting, the Commission asked the authorities concerned to monitor the social media round-the-clock to check the spread of propaganda and rumors over the forthcoming national election.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire