EC’s Awami face getting exposed: BNP
Published: 04:55 PM, 5 December 2018 Updated: 04:55 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi on Wednesday alleged that the Election Commission's 'Awami face' is getting exposed gradually with its activities to 'ensure the ruling party's victory'.
“The Election Commission is resorting to various tricks and strategies as it probably wants to ensure the ruling party's victory, even before the election. They staged a dress rehearsal of it through revoking huge nomination papers during the scrutiny,” he said.
Speaking at a press conference at BNP's Nayapaltan central office, the BNP leader also said the EC only scrutinised the nomination papers of the BNP and Awami League's rebel and independent runners, not the ruling party's.
Rizvi also alleged returning officers declared valid the nomination papers of Awami League candidates as per a list provided by Prime Minister's adviser HT Imam without scrutinising those.
He alleged that the EC, led by KM Nurul Huda, is working as per the plan of the ruling party to hold a unilateral general election.
Rizvi said the EC is going to issue a notice asking the candidates to submit the lists of their polling angsts before them. “It's part of a blueprint so that a new drive can be launched against our activists seeing the lists as we saw such a situation during the city polls.”
The BNP leader said the Commission is taking all the steps in support of the ruling party while it has no move to ensure a level-playing field.
Speaking at the press conference, BNP vice chairman Hafizuddin Ahmed said the country is heading towards a 'farcical and dangerous' election under a partisan government and the Election Commission.
He said though the electioneering will start on December 10, their leaders and activists cannot go to their areas due to arrest and harassment by law enforcers.
The BNP leader said they repeatedly urged the Chief Election Commissioner to create a congenial atmosphere, but he did not take any step in this regard.
He said the EC neither transferred the officials of the police and administration nor recovered illegal and legal arms after the announcement of the election schedule as per the tradition.
“These arms will be used against the leaders and activists of BNP and other opposition parties. So, time has come to rethink whether we should participate in such an election. We may lose our many activists in the days to come while many others may get maimed,” Hafiz added.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor