E-passport this month
Published: 12:24 PM, 9 December 2019 Updated: 05:54 PM, 9 December 2019
The much-awaited e-passport (electronic passport) will be launched in the third week of this month. The authorities have already completed all the formalities in this regard.
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the passport. We have sent a letter to the Prime Minister’s Office requesting a meeting with the Prime Minister for a formal inauguration, said Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal on Sunday. “Hopefully, we will get her consent by December 18.”
Veridos GmbH, a renowned German company, operates e-passports and e-gates in the country. “Efforts were being made to error-free the immigration process by launching the e-passports,” he added.
The minister said the entire formal process of migration will be completed online.
The ‘Introduction of Bangladesh e-Passport and Automatic Border Control Management’ project is being implemented at a cost of Tk 4,569 crore.
The Department of Immigration and Passport is implementing the project at full government expense from July 2018 to June 2028. Three crore passports will be issued in 10 years.
Major General Shakil Ahmed, director-general of the Department of Immigration and Passport (DIP), said the inauguration will be held after getting approval from the Prime Minister’s Office.
According to the project description, Germany will generate two million passports. Those who apply early will have their passports made from Germany. The validity period of the passport will be 5 and 10 years.
The E-Passport is a type of biometric passport — with a chip attached to the information printed on the passport’s data page. In some countries, two fingerprints are attached to e-passports.
The DIP and Germany’s Veridos Company signed an agreement for Machine Readable Passport and e-Passport on July 19, 2018.
- 50 arrested in anti-drug operation
- 2 vessels forbidden on Teknaf-St. Martin route
- Japan confirms second coronavirus case
- Ban vs Pak T20 series: Possible XIs in 1st T20
- AL leaders paid all tolls on way to Tungipara
- Contract killer killed in Natore gunfight
- Mummy’s ‘voice’ heard 3000 years after death
- Youth held with foreign pistol
- Is Aishwarya ‘pregnant’ again?
- 7° Celsius, country’s lowest temperature in Kurigram
- 3 killed as bus hits tree in Habiganj
- AL Central Working Committee visits Tungipara today
- Twitter adds emoji reactions to Direct Message
- Mirpur slum fire doused after 2 hrs
- Coronavirus affected Indian nurse identified in Saudi
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- E-passport to be launched today
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse