E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
Published: 03:18 PM, 22 January 2020 Updated: 04:19 PM, 22 January 2020
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina addressed the inaugural function of the e-passport and automated border control management programme at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre, - PID
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Wednesday launched the much-awaited electronic passport (e-passport) along with the automated border control management programme, saying that it (e-passport) is a gift for the nation in the “Mujib Barsho”.
“We’re handing over the e-passport to the people of the country in ‘Mujib Barsho’, the special year, coinciding with the birth centenary celebration of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. It (e-passport) is a gift for the nation in the Mujib Barsho,” Sheikh Hasina said.
The Prime Minister was speaking at the inaugural function of the e-passport and automated border control management programme at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) in the capital this morning.
Read More: Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
“I do believe that e-passport and automated border control management will undoubtedly brighten Bangladesh’s image in the digital world,” the premier said.
Sheikh Hasina said due to the introduction of the e-passport, Bangladesh will advance another step forward and the people will not be deceived more regarding the passport.
“There was a problem in the past about the passport as ‘galakata’ (tampered) passport was used at that time. But due to launching of the e-passport, it (fraudulence) will never happen … the people will not be cheated more and they could move with transparency,” she said.
The prime minister said in the e-passport, there will be embedded microprocessor chip that will contain all information along with the photo, fingerprint and iris of eye of the passport holder.
118 countries have already introduced e-passports and Bangladesh is the 119th country which launched such passports.
“We’ve reached such a position and Bangladesh is the first country in South Asia which has been able to introduce e-passports,” she said, extending her sincere thanks to all concerned involved in the project.
Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal chaired the function, while German Ambassador in Dhaka Peter Fahrenholtz was present at the function as the special guest.
Secretary of Security Services Division under the Home Ministry Md Shahiduzzaman also spoke and Director General of Department of Immigration and Passport (DIP) Major General Shakil Ahmed delivered the welcome address. Project Director of the e-passport Project Brigadier General Saidur Rahman Khan gave an overview about different aspects of the project.
Later, the home minister formally handed over the prime minister’s e-passport to her.
Sheikh Hasina later inaugurated electronic passport (e-passport) and automated border control management programme by unveiling a plaque. She also opened the e-passport complex and visited enrolment booth of the e-gate from the BICC.
- Jibon crushed to death under Nilachal
- 6 killed as microbus carrying wedding party hits roadside tree
- Two held in Paltan with 10,000 Yaba
- 3 drug dealer held with 404 bottles Phensidyl
- Corona death toll may hit 40,000 in London
- BNP continues its unannounced war against court: Quader
- Coronavirus death toll rises to 21 in Italy
- Digital Banking Fair in Noakhali
- Azan in Mike consented in US city
- Finally US, Taliban to sign peace deal
- Puja Cherry’s crush married another Puja
- Mongolian president, foreign minister under quarantine
- Youths will create employment opportunities now
- Mugger pulled bag, woman dies falling from rickshaw
- 100 million people to get 100 services in Mujib Borsho
- ‘No sustainable development possible without quality education’
- Temperature likely to rise
- 20 bus travelers killed in collision with train
- Coronavirus death toll surges past 200 in Iran
- Tigress confirm World Cup exit in hat-trick loss
- February 29: A rare day of calendar
- Today’s sports on TV
- 3 killed as bus ditched in Cumilla
- Robber killed in Moulvibazar gunfight
- A Hindu bride weds in Muslim neighbourhood amid Delhi violence
- First British coronavirus death confirmed
- WHO declares `highest alert` over coronavirus outbreak
- Political uncertenity grows in Malaysia
- England secures comfortable victory over Pakistan
- Quader urges to accept electricity price-hike
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Salman Shah`s wishes fulfilled: Samira
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Investigation underway on those involved with Papiya: HM
- Death toll climbs to 21 in Delhi clashes
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Newly-elected Dhaka mayors Taposh, Atiqul take oath
- Amal Clooney will fight for Rohingya
- Chinese President lauds Sheikh Hasina
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Power price hike again by Tk 7.13 per unit
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Fire kills 3 incl child in capital’s Eskaton
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 112 more die of coronavirus
- Delhi violence: Death toll rises to 34
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Saudi suspends entry for Umrah over coronavirus
- Metals more ‘harmful’ than nicotine found in Benson, Gold Leaf
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 120 terrorists killed in Niger military operation
- Chaos over mobile theft in Soumya’s wed
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Take measures to control mosquitoes ahead of rainy season: PM
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- 23 Feb golden day of Bengali nation