Duterte sexually abused his maid!
Published: 04:07 PM, 31 December 2018 Updated: 04:07 PM, 31 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
There has been a wave of criticism after Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte said he sexually assaulted a maid when he was a teenager.
In a speech, he recalled confessing to a priest how he reached into the maid's underwear as she slept.
Women's rights group Gabriela said Mr Duterte was "unworthy of his position and should resign".
The Philippines president has sparked outrage with a number of provocative comments but remains popular.
In his latest remarks, he described entering the room of his maid while she was sleeping.
"I lifted the blanket... I tried to touch what was inside the panty," he said. "I was touching. She woke up so I left the room."
It is common for well-off families in the Philippines to employ maids and many women also work as domestic helpers across other Asian countries and the Middle East.
His spokesman since said Mr Duterte had merely "made up" and "added and spliced" the story.
Remarks 'encourage rape culture'
Rights groups in the Philippines have strongly condemned the president's comments. Gabriela said the comments were tantamount to admitting rape.
"Rape does not happen only through penile insertion," Joms Salvador, secretary general of Gabriela said. "If it is a finger or an object it is considered rape."
The Coalition Against Trafficking in Women-Asia Pacific warned that the president's comments put domestic workers at risk.
"Flaunting abusive practices encourages the rape culture and in this case, sexual abuse of domestic workers," said Jean Enriquez, the organisation's executive director.
Mr Duterte is especially popular among the Philippines' poorer population, where many women work as domestic helpers.
The Philippines president has drawn fire for previous actions and comments about women.
Earlier this year, he sparked criticism for kissing an overseas Filipina worker on the lips during a live event.
He also told Filipino soldiers they should shoot female communist rebels in the vagina.
In April 2016, he spoke to an election campaign rally about the 1989 murder and rape of a female Australian missionary in Davao, where he was mayor at the time.
"I was angry because she was raped," he said. "That's one thing. But she was so beautiful, the mayor should have been first, what a waste." His office later apologised. - BBC
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man killed in Paltan road crash
- Levitating objects with light
- Movement of Suprobhat, Jabal-e-Noor buses suspended
- 300 ‘Su-Probhat’ buses on road; appro70 only
- Cucsu polls to be held soon
- 2 buses collision kills 3 in Sirajganj
- 2 burnt in Ctg gas line explosion
- No exam till class-III
- 4yrs minor girl raped by ‘uncle’
- Biz ldrs oppose Govt’s gas price hike plan
- US-Bangla starts Chennai flights from March 31
- Ershad’s 90th Birthday celebrated
- 1,221 recommended for cadre posts
- Indian investors interested to energy sec
- HC bans making film, drama on Jaha Alam
- BIWTA thrashes 185 illegal structures
- 9th span of Padma Bridge to be installed tomorrow
- Students call off movement till March 28
- India beat Bangladesh to raced into SAFF final
- Doctor jailed using own sperm fertilizing more than 50 women
- Farhad, Saif powers Doleshwar to easy victory
- Ducsu AGS with student movement
- Suprobhat Paribahan driver put on 7-day remand
- Ardern calls for global anti-racism fight
- Arrest warrant issued against Khaleda in another case
- Fake notes of Tk 8 lakh seized: 4 held
- Not full adults until 30s: Sci
- Super worm moon to rise tmrw
- 4 to die for killing sibling farmers in M’singh
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Dhaka-Kolkata Ship service starts March 29
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- BCB has no problem with Shakib`s IPL participation
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- PM invites newly elected Ducsu leaders
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Dutch-Bangla service to be closed for 5 days
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- VP Noor urges Rokeya’s Provost to resign
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand