Drug injection causes widespread HIV infection in NW Myanmar
Published: 10:21 PM, 2 December 2018 Updated: 10:21 PM, 2 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Intravenous injections have caused widespread HIV infection in Myanmar’s Sagaing region, local media quoted regional government Minister of Social Welfare Dr. Zaw Win as saying Sunday.
About 20.77 percent of HIV-infected patients got the infection due to drug injection, Zaw Win told a ceremony marking the World AIDS Day in Monywa, Sagaing region on Saturday, the official Global New Light of Myanmar reported on Sunday.
A total of 14 dispensaries in Sagaing are offering methadone to HIV patients and the regional government is providing supervision for conducting HIV blood test and education campaign for migrant workers, youths and prisoners, a region public health official also told the event.
Myanmar has launched a HIV/AIDS Flagship (UHF) project in five regions and states with the highest rate of HIV infection.
With a fund of 10 million U.S. dollars and backed by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the two-year project 2018-19 covers Kachin and Shan states and Sagaing, Yangon and Mandalay regions.
The project aims to scale up HIV prevention, testing and treatment services by utilizing non-governmental organizations and private sector health providers for people living with HIV and key population people who injected drugs, women sex workers, men and women who are afflicted and transgender people.
According to statistics, there are 224,794 people estimated to be living with HIV in Myanmar, which ranked 25 in the list of global countries having a high rate of HIV prevalence.
The rate of new patients with HIV infection dropped by 26 percent in 2016 from 2010, while the death toll due to AIDS-related disease plunged by 52 percent.
- Boro paddy procurement drive begins in Narail
- Shakib on the brink of another milestone
- Mozammel to join Modi’s oath ceremony
- Iraq sentences 3 Frenchmen to death
- PM to leave home for 12-day tour Tuesday
- Miraz vows to cover up Tigers’ lack of leg-spinner
- Don`t want to see BRTC bankrupt: Quader
- Mahathir expected to visit Bangladesh at ‘year-end’
- Bangladesh-Japan to sign $2.5 bl ODA
- Habitual coffee drinkers really do wake up and smell coffee
- Study predicts shift to smaller animals over next century
- Exotic matter uncovered in the sun`s atmosphere
- PBI proves ex-Sonagazi OC `fault` in DSA
- Modi to take oath on Thursday
- IGP calls for increasing security ahead of Eid
- Bangladesh`s warm-up abandoned due to rain
- JS body urge to complete “Swadhinata Stambha” soon
- Eid Jamaat at 8:30 am
- 6 hours’ road reduced to 1.5 hour
- Hasan urges BNP not to do ‘ill politics’ over Khaleda’s health
- EC, Local Govt Division get new secretaries
- Cannes 2019: All the winners and losers of this year`s festival
- 72nd Cannes film festival winners at a glance
- Magnitude 8 earthquake strikes Peru
- Historical Conquest of Mecca
- ‘Gas supply’ in Capital suspended tomorrow
- No unity in Oikya Front: Information Minister
- PM for girls’ vocational education
- JP`s proposal to ensure safe Eid- journey
- Trump and Abe do diplomacy over golf and sumo
- All News »
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Taylor, Williamson lead NZ to beat India
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- `Final should not decide my future`
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- Adventurous operation BEKPA-2 (Episode-1) under Captain Touquir
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- 29 fake question leakers held in Satkhira
- PM inaugurates Panchagarh Express
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Commercial operation of BS-I begins today
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- Actress Maya Ghosh dies
- Panchagarh Express starts journey today
- Highest power generation recorded
- When Jail-guard are ‘drug dealers’!
- Poet Helal Hafiz hospitalized