Dr. Rajiv burnt in fire from sanitizer dies...

Dhaka, Wednesday   30 September 2020

Dr. Rajiv burnt in fire from sanitizer dies

 Staff Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 11:43 AM, 28 July 2020   Updated: 11:45 AM, 28 July 2020

Doctor Rajiv Bhattacharya and Anusuya Bhattacharya. Photo: Collected

Doctor Rajiv Bhattacharya and Anusuya Bhattacharya. Photo: Collected

Doctor Rajiv Bhattacharya, 36, burnt in a blaze that occurred from disinfectant hand sanitizer at Hatirpul in the capital, has died after battling for six days.

He died at the Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery on Tuesday morning after battling death for six days. Dr. Rajiv Bhattacharya was working in the Neurosurgery Department at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU).

Sheikh Hasina National Burn and Plastic Surgery Institute Chief Coordinator Dr. Samanta Lal Sen confirmed this information to the media.

Earlier, Dr. Samanta Lal Sen said the fire broke out on Tuesday night. They were rescued in a burnt condition and admitted to Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery. 87 percent of Rajiv's body and 20 percent of his wife's were burnt.

Dr. Rajiv's wife Anusuya Bhattacharya is also in critical condition. Dr. Anusuya Bhattacharya is working as the Registrar of Ophthalmology at Shyamoli Central Medical College.

It is known that Dr. Rajiv and Anusuya live on the third floor of a house behind Hatirpul Eastern Plaza in the capital. For the past three weeks, their only five-year-old daughter, Rajshree Bhattacharya, has been at her grandfather's house in Devidwar, Cumilla.

Sources said Rajiv was pouring disinfectant hand sanitizer from a large bottle into a small bottle at night. Then some sanitizer falls down. At this time, the fire incident was occurred in a connection with the cigarette in the mouth or a mosquito coil. Rajiv was burned in this blaze. His wife Anusuya was also burnt while trying to save him.

DailyBangladesh/PR