Dozens missing in Russia explosion
Published: 03:34 AM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 03:34 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Rescuers are searching for survivors in the central Russian city of Magnitogorsk, where an explosion devastated a block of flats, killing at least four people.
Officials in the city, in the Urals region, say a gas leak caused the blast. About 40 people are missing.
President Vladimir Putin has arrived in the city to assess the situation.
The building was home to 120 people, and 48 flats collapsed in the blast.
"I woke up and felt myself falling," one witness told Russia television, according to news agency AFP. "The walls were gone. My mother was screaming and my son had been buried."
Another witness spoke of a "wave of fire" which followed the blast.
Rescue workers are now in a race against time to find survivors, as the daytime temperature in the industrial city is around -17C, falling further overnight.
Few, if any, are expected to be pulled from the rubble, but rescue workers are due to work through the night in the hope of finding people alive.
Russia's Vesti news channel says officials have accounted for more than 50 of the block's residents, including the victims.
At least 16 survivors have been evacuated from the scene, including seven children. Five injured people, including two children, were taken to hospital, according to officials.
President Putin, who came to see the rescue operation for himself, described it as a "tragedy", adding that those affected would get every assistance.
"First of all, I would like to express my condolences to the families of the victims, and to assure those affected that we will do everything to help and support them," he said.
The blast, at 06:02 local time (01:02 GMT) is thought to have ripped through the first floor, which houses some offices, and the seven storeys above then collapsed. Nearby flats were also damaged.
There are concerns another two sections of the block, which was built in 1973, could collapse.
A criminal investigation has been opened into the disaster.
The city is about 1,695km (1,053 miles) east of Moscow.
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Psychologists solve mystery of songbird learning
- Mansur pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 6 new ships to join BSC fleet
- Rare yellow cardinal caught on camera
- World Meteorological Day tomorrow
- Abrar’s parents meet PM
- Death toll rises to 7 in Barishal road crash’
- 24h Anti-drug drives detained 48 in Dhaka
- 6 hijackers detained in Tongi
- 1650 dev projects progress laudable in FY18
- Death toll rise 47 in China chemical plant blast
- Lightning strikes killed 1 in Habiganj
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police