Dozens missing in Russia explosion
Published: 03:34 AM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 03:34 AM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Rescuers are searching for survivors in the central Russian city of Magnitogorsk, where an explosion devastated a block of flats, killing at least four people.
Officials in the city, in the Urals region, say a gas leak caused the blast. About 40 people are missing.
President Vladimir Putin has arrived in the city to assess the situation.
The building was home to 120 people, and 48 flats collapsed in the blast.
"I woke up and felt myself falling," one witness told Russia television, according to news agency AFP. "The walls were gone. My mother was screaming and my son had been buried."
Another witness spoke of a "wave of fire" which followed the blast.
Rescue workers are now in a race against time to find survivors, as the daytime temperature in the industrial city is around -17C, falling further overnight.
Few, if any, are expected to be pulled from the rubble, but rescue workers are due to work through the night in the hope of finding people alive.
Russia's Vesti news channel says officials have accounted for more than 50 of the block's residents, including the victims.
At least 16 survivors have been evacuated from the scene, including seven children. Five injured people, including two children, were taken to hospital, according to officials.
President Putin, who came to see the rescue operation for himself, described it as a "tragedy", adding that those affected would get every assistance.
"First of all, I would like to express my condolences to the families of the victims, and to assure those affected that we will do everything to help and support them," he said.
The blast, at 06:02 local time (01:02 GMT) is thought to have ripped through the first floor, which houses some offices, and the seven storeys above then collapsed. Nearby flats were also damaged.
There are concerns another two sections of the block, which was built in 1973, could collapse.
A criminal investigation has been opened into the disaster.
The city is about 1,695km (1,053 miles) east of Moscow.
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Tariff Commission Act gets Cabinet nod
- Shakib turned Pooran after Lewis
- Impotent injection for rapist
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- Firemen at risk in service office
- Revenue will be billions below forecast: Huawei CEO
- Mother split child`s throat
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem sent to jail
- Innovation of artificial lungs by Mou-Akhi-Bipasha
- Rangpur city polluted than Dhaka, Cumilla in safe zone
- UN to adopt tougher policy against Myanmar
- No gas supply to Kawla, Zia Colony for 9hrs today
- Heat weave may continue
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- 18 killed, 29 injured in Venezuela road crash
- OC Moazzem handed over to Feni police
- Moazzem to be produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal today
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Shahid says fight with Mira can last 15 days
- Tigers take on WI a must-win WC match
- 5th phase polls in 23 UZs tomorrow
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Daraz joins hands with Visa
- Australia beat Pakistan by 41 runs
- Ramp up pressure on Myanmar
- Mila’s assistant threw acid at Sanjari’s private parts!
- Rohingyas leave camps, collect Bangladeshi passports
- Amitabh Bachchan`s Twitter Account Hacked
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- Building wall collapses after explosion in Shanir Akhra, kills 1
- Yuvraj Singh retires from all forms of cricket
- 8 children injured as ceiling of hospital caves in
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- England wins beating Windies
- Class XI admission results published
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- 2 students killed in Pabna road crash
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- Cop sues wife on charge of torture for dowry
- JS budget session begins today
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held