Don’t allow Janipop’s Kalimullah as polls observer: BNP
Published: 08:56 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 08:56 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP on Saturday demanded that the Election Commission not allow Dr Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah, Chairman of Jatiya Nirbachon Parjabekkhon Parishad (Janipop), as an observer in the 11th parliamentary polls slated for December 30.
In a letter sent to Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda, the party claimed that Dr Kalimullah, who is also the vice-chancellor of Begum Rokeya University, is an activist of a particular political party.
BNP in the letter also claimed that Janipop chairman participated in the election campaign for Awami League's probable mayoral candidate Rashek Rahman in the Rangpur City Corporation election.
A BNP delegation, led by Moudud Ahmed, submitted the letter signed by its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir to the CEC.
Janipop (National Election Observation Council) is registered with the Election Commission as an election monitoring organisation.
Dr Kalimullah, nephew of Awami League leader Dr Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir, has broken his impartiality taking part in the election campaign in favour of a mayoral candidate of a political party, the letter reads.
Contacted, Dr Kalimullah said he has no political connections with his maternal uncle Dr Alamgir. "Is it my fault to be his nephew?" he said.
He also denied the allegation of joining the election campaign for a probable mayoral candidate, saying Rashek Rahman was not a candidate at all.
Noting that Rashek Rahman brought cricket star Shakib Al Hasan to Rokeya University, Dr Kalimullah said he, being the vice-chancellor of the university, just allowed students' gathering to see Shakib, who is an icon of the new generation.
"Had it been a BNP or Jatiya Party man instead of RashekRahman, my behavior would have been the same," he said.
The Janipop chairman said BNP brought the same allegation several times in the past, too.
- Mild heat wave likely to continue
- Rajshahi growers likely to export 50 tonnes mango
- Drug trader killed in gunfight with BGB
- 9 nurses pregnant at one hospital at same time
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Jubo League leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar
- War would mean ‘end’ of Iran: Trump
- Snatcher killed in Chattogram gunfight
- Today’s sports on TV
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Blast injures tourists near Giza pyramids
- Simmons to step down as AFG coach after WC
- Exit polls says Modi could assume again as India PM
- Mobile banking transaction limit increased
- Niketa gets AL ticket for Bogura-6 by-poll
- PM host Iftar for freedom fighters and orphans
- Bangladesh will play in semi-final: Akash Chopra
- Pollard, Bravo named in Windies` CWC19 reserves
- Farmers face Tk 11,000 loss per Bigha!
- Security to be beefed up for Eid-ul Fitr: HM
- World Metrology Day tomorrow
- Setaria farming to increase fertility
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- How to pass 65 days?
- Bangladesh`s World Cup mission starts
- Second semifinal to be held at Edgbaston
- May plans ‘bold offer’ to get support deal
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Life-Changing Lessons from the Quran (Part-1)
- All News »
- Bangladesh easily chased down Ireland`s 292
- Magnitude 7.5 quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- Justice Salma Masud accused of changing court verdict
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Bringing flavor back to tomatoes
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- May agrees timetable to choose new UK PM
- Protik’s World Cup song ‘Banglar Damal Chelera’
- Poverty rate comes down
- BCL announced full-fledged committee
- PM likely to visit 3 countries
- Quader returns home this evening
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Quader to join his office today
- Two Rohingya human traffickers killed in gunfight
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- Active bullock cart, crisis of day laborer
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- HC bars use of phrase ‘fake freedom fighter’
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- Secret of sensational Majed killings revealed
- Man accused in 12 cases killed in gunfight
- Advanced train ticket sale begins May 22
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- President reaches London
- Magistrate`s car attacked in Ctg
- Tigers storm into final with emphatic win
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today