Don’t allow Janipop’s Kalimullah as polls observer: BNP
Published: 08:56 PM, 1 December 2018 Updated: 08:56 PM, 1 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
BNP on Saturday demanded that the Election Commission not allow Dr Nazmul Ahsan Kalimullah, Chairman of Jatiya Nirbachon Parjabekkhon Parishad (Janipop), as an observer in the 11th parliamentary polls slated for December 30.
In a letter sent to Chief Election Commissioner KM Nurul Huda, the party claimed that Dr Kalimullah, who is also the vice-chancellor of Begum Rokeya University, is an activist of a particular political party.
BNP in the letter also claimed that Janipop chairman participated in the election campaign for Awami League's probable mayoral candidate Rashek Rahman in the Rangpur City Corporation election.
A BNP delegation, led by Moudud Ahmed, submitted the letter signed by its secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir to the CEC.
Janipop (National Election Observation Council) is registered with the Election Commission as an election monitoring organisation.
Dr Kalimullah, nephew of Awami League leader Dr Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir, has broken his impartiality taking part in the election campaign in favour of a mayoral candidate of a political party, the letter reads.
Contacted, Dr Kalimullah said he has no political connections with his maternal uncle Dr Alamgir. "Is it my fault to be his nephew?" he said.
He also denied the allegation of joining the election campaign for a probable mayoral candidate, saying Rashek Rahman was not a candidate at all.
Noting that Rashek Rahman brought cricket star Shakib Al Hasan to Rokeya University, Dr Kalimullah said he, being the vice-chancellor of the university, just allowed students' gathering to see Shakib, who is an icon of the new generation.
"Had it been a BNP or Jatiya Party man instead of RashekRahman, my behavior would have been the same," he said.
The Janipop chairman said BNP brought the same allegation several times in the past, too.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire