The `optimal dose` of daily exercise is about two hours a day.
It`s not enough to stay fit
Published: 08:56 PM, 22 June 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
According to a new study, the 10,000-step target believed to be the ideal requisite for maximum health boost by fitness enthusiasts, is not enough. Experts stressed that instead people should do 15,000 steps of brisk walk per day, equivalent to a seven-and-a-half-mile hike.
Evolutionary anthropologist, Professor Herman Potzner, of Duke University in North Carolina outlined the new findings in New Scientist magazine. "The 10,000-step target pursued by fitness-tracker enthusiasts [was] a marketing ploy dreamed up by a Japanese manufacturer of pedometers in 1965. While this target was 'a good start', 'We should strive for more'," Potzner said.
His research based on the health of hunter gatherers called Hadza in the Tanzanian savannah and postal workers in Glasgow, suggests the 'optimal dose' of daily exercise is about two hours a day or 15,000 steps.
"The Hadza's high activity levels meant they had 'the healthiest hearts on the planet and stay strong and spry into old age," Prof Potzner added. While it was found that postal workers in Glasgow who took more than 15,000 steps 'had cardio-metabolic health on a par with hunter-gatherers', despite living in a city known for its poor health.
Hence, according to Prof Potzner, humans need so much exercise because we have spent the vast majority of our evolutionary history being active - spending our days gathering food and hunting animals. Unless we mimic ancient habits, we are likely to succumb to heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.
A recent US study of almost 5,000 over-40s found people who met US minimum exercise guidelines of 25 minutes a day had half the chance of dying in the following seven years than those who did no exercise. Those who did 100 minutes a day cut their risk of early death by 80 per cent, reported Daily Mail.
- Repatriation halts due to Rohingya’s distrust to Myanmar
- Mexican journalist stabbed to death
- Do aliens really exist?
- Sub-Editor to be recruited in Daily Bangladesh
- Stokes 135* leads England to epic test win
- Watling, Grandhomme put NZ ahead in 2nd Test
- Miraz rates Bangladesh ahead of Afghanistan Test
- Faridpur road crash kills cyclist
- Hilsa abound in sea, very few in rivers
- Man jailed for honey!
- Purnima demands excess payment
- `If Bangabandhu`s killers brought under trial, Zia won`t killed`
- Bermuda Triangle: Mystery Museum on earth
- Prof Muzaffar laid to rest with state honor
- Two die as bus hits van in Madaripur
- Truck ramps private car, driver killed
- Bangladesh U-15 outclasses Sri Lanka in 7-1 win
- Ex-Eden College principal murder: Charge sheet accepted
- Wari girl Saima rape, murder: Probe report Sept 16
- Don`t go abroad being deceived by broker: PM
- Yield, market price brings smile on jute growers
- Rain likely across country
- HC orders to remove word ‘Kumari’ from Kabinnama
- Trump confident on Brexit talks
- NASA to prob ‘first crime’ in space
- Messi to miss Barcelona`s game at Real Betis
- New DC in Chuadanga-Khagrachari
- ‘DC Ahmed Kabir will be received exemplary punishment’
- Two senior DMP officials transferred
- New heroine with Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Aghoris: The ‘Black Magicians’!
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PEC exam schedule published
- Kamrup Kamakhya: Mystery of India
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Rayudu promises IPL return for CSK
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves