Disney, Fox sued over theme park in Malaysia
Published: 01:59 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 01:59 PM, 27 November 2018
The Walt Disney Co. and 21st Century Fox were hit with a billion-dollar lawsuit in Los Angeles on Monday by a Malaysian casino operator alleging the studios had walked away from a project to build a theme park near the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur.
The complaint, filed in US federal court, alleges that Disney and Fox had failed to honor a 2013 deal with Genting Malaysia Berhad that calls for the licensing of intellectual property, including from Fox animated films like “Ice Age” and “Planet of the Apes,” for the theme park.
The suit alleges that Fox was seeking to terminate the contract and that Disney executives were also keen on distancing themselves from the project because the park would be adjacent to a casino and would harm the company’s “family-friendly” image.
Disney and Fox representatives did not immediately respond to questions for comment.
“The plan was for Fox World to be the new centerpiece of Resorts World Genting, GENM’s integrated resort complex in Genting Highlands, an idyllic mountain retreat 6,000 feet (1,830 meters) above sea level and an hour’s drive outside of Kuala Lumpur that already attracts over 23 million visitors a year,” according to the lawsuit.
The suit alleges that Fox had used repeated delays in the project as a reason to cancel the deal and had recently issued a notice of default, requiring the developer to open the park within 30 days, an impossible deadline.
“This is a case about seller’s remorse, first by Fox, and then by Disney, after the latter began the process of acquiring Fox in a deal now expected to close in the first half of 2019,” the suit claims.
It adds that Genting Malaysia Berhard was entitled to rescue the more than $750 million it had already invested in the park, along with consequential and punitive damages in excess of $1 billion.
The park had been slated to open in 2016 but because of the delays, the developer hoped to open it in 2019. It was set to feature rides and other attractions based on such blockbusters as “Ice Age,” “Life of Pi,” “Alien” and “Night at the Museum.”
Built on more than 25 acres (10 hectares), the park was to feature more than 25 rides and attractions.
It was due to replace an older outdoor theme park, which is part of Resorts World Genting located at the peak of an area known as Genting Highlands.
- Australia bowled out for 250
- 231 students` result changes in review
- Protest for free elections in Russia
- Biman’s return Hajj flight lands in Dhaka
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Quader alerts AL men to BNP-Jamaat conspiracies
- BCB announces prelim squad for AFG test, Tri-series
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Cop caught taking bribe day after getting best constable award
- Facebook adds Chakma as 2nd Bangladeshi language
- Fire breaks out Delhi hospital
- Masrafe asks BCB for two months to decide future
- 4 of a family burnt in Gazipur fire
- Rawhide sale suspended till Sunday
- Priyanka Chopra reveals Jonas’ bedroom secret
- 1460 dengue patients hospitalized in 24hrs
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- 6 buses fined for charging extra fare
- Soumitra transferred to cabin from ICU
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Kid drowns in Shakhipur
- Smartphone for blood pressure detection
- First return Hajj flight arrives in Dhaka
- Mgst described severe suffering in govt hospital
- Russell Domingo appointed Tigers’ head coach
- Eight killed in Ukraine hotel fire
- No MoU, 2 FMs dialog only
- College student dies of dengue in Magura
- Temperature may rise slightly
- Husband arrested in triple talaq case
- All News »
- Shaykh Muhammad bin Hassan to recite Khutba at Hajj
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- National Mourning Day Thursday
- Three movies to be released on Eid
- Heavy rain pours down on Hajj pilgrims at Arafat
- Karchi flood: Death toll rises to 11
- Rabeya opens her eyes, Rokeya still unconscious
- Priyanka anxious over Nick’s diabetes!
- Holly Eid-ul-Azha tomorrow
- Jacqueline stuns in yellow during birthday trip in Sri Lanka
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- 2m pilgrims gathered in Arafat
- 60pc animal waste of Capital disposed
- Holidaymakers suffer in train schedule catastrophe
- Man. City. Everton to play tonight
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Removal of animal wastes almost completed: DSCC Mayor
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- No foreign prog broadcast without permission
- PM visits conjoined twins Rabeya, Rukaya at CMH
- Keep environment clean to prevent dengue: President
- Last Hajj ritual heralds Eid Al-Azha
- Tailback, heat forced passengers becomes ill
- 2 gang rape accused killed in gunfight
- 7 plays of Humayun to be aired on Eid
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC