Dhaka University Teachers’ Association election tomorrow
Published: 08:48 PM, 3 December 2018 Updated: 08:48 PM, 3 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The election of Dhaka University Teacher’s Association (DUTA), the platform of DU teachers, will be held tomorrow.
The election race, to be contested by pro-Awami League-Blue Panel and pro-BNP White Panel, will be held tomorrow (Tuesday) from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm at the teacher’s club on the campus.
A total of 30 candidates are contesting against 15 posts of DUTA executive committee.
DU Earth and Environmental Science Faculty Dean Professor Dr ASM Maksud Kamal from Blue Panel and Soil, Water and Environment Dept Professor Mohammad Akhtar Hossain Khan from White Panel will vie for the president post.
DU Business Faculty Dean Prof Dr Shibli Rubaiyat Ul Islam from Blue Panel and Professor Md Lutfor Rahaman from White Panel will contest for the post of general secretary.
Professor Dr. Tofail Ahmed Chowdhury of Chemistry department will conduct the election. Talking to BSS, Prof Tofail said, “Though there are over 1,970 voters, approximately 1,500 teachers may cast their votes as a good number of teachers are now on study leave. We will announce the result around 3 pm.”
Last year, the Blue Panel swept DUTA election, bagging 14 out of 15 executive committee posts including all key positions.
Talking to the national news agency, Prof Maksud Kamal said that the DUTA election has a significant impact on the upcoming national poll.
Expressing his optimism about victory in the polls, Prof Maksud said, “Our teachers rely on Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and have faith on us because of the continuous development works and meeting teachers’ interests.”
Awami League backed Blue Panel has announced a 13-point election manifesto. It upholds taking up of new research projects, introduction of post-doctoral research scholarships, ensuring security on the campus, improving bus services for teachers and modernizing teachers’ accommodation.
Prof Lutfor Rahaman, who aspires for the DUTA general secretary post from White Panel, said that they are hopeful about victory in DUTA election but he turned down any possible impact of the poll on national poll.
Blue panel candidates–DU Biological Science Faculty Dean Prof Dr Md Imdadul Hoque, Accounting and Information Systems (AIS) dept professor Mamtaz Uddin Ahmed and English dept professor Dr. Tazin Aziz Chaudhury– will fight against the three White panel aspirants-Islamic History and Culture dept professor Dr. Mohammad Siddiqur Rahman Khan, AIS professor Dr Md. Mohobbot Ali and Associate Professor of IBA Mohiuddin Ahmed for the posts of vice-president, treasurer and joint secretary respectively.
- Catastrophic` breeding failure in emperor penguin colonies
- NASA`s InSight detects first likely `quake` on Mars
- 14-party to hold anti-drug rally tmrw
- Salman Khan accused of snatching mobile phone
- Two more countries in ICC ODI status
- Rana Plaza Volunteer dies after ‘setting himself on fire’
- Housewife ‘raped’ in Panchagarh
- Khulna reach final eliminating Chattogram
- BTRC to deactivate extra SIMs from early Friday
- Pakistan U-16 cricket team coming on Friday
- 35 govt job entry age rejected in JS
- Dhaka contributes $15,000 for OPCW ChemTech Center
- Govt trying to export food abroad
- 19th founding anniv of community clinic tmrw
- Bhutanese PM phones Sheikh Hasina
- World Intellectual Property Day tomorrow
- More Sub-cmte for Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- ‘Humayun Ahmed was a fan of his story’
- Nusrat murder: Shamim on 3-day remand
- Farm equipment subsidies will be extended: Ag Minister
- Nusrat murder: Ruhul Amin sent to jail
- BNP calls Zahidur a `mass enemy`
- Stop antibiotic sale without prescription: HC to govt
- BRAC University student killed in Dhaka road crash
- 76 bridges changes daily life
- Uncle-nephew possessed the school
- Nissan ex-boss Ghosn granted $4.5m bail
- Joe Biden launches 2020 presidential bid
- HC seeks report on mobile tower radiation
- Spicy raw mango juice in summer
- All News »
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Transport strike underway on various highways
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM returns home tomorrow
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- Speak against militancy in Khutba: PM to Imams
- 4 killed in truck-auto rickshaw collision
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Shomi Kaiser faces criticism for her behavior
- Case filed over Shahenur’s death
- Nusrat murder: CID searching money grantor