Dhaka Abahani thrash Manang Marshyangdhi 5-0
Published: 10:28 PM, 19 June 2019 Updated: 10:28 PM, 19 June 2019
Six-time Bangladesh Professional Football League champions Dhaka Abahani Limited took the solo lead in Group E of the AFC Cup Football’ 2019 crushing Nepalese champions Manang Marshyangdi Club by 5-0 goals in their home match at Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Wednesday.
The popular sky-blue Bangladesh outfit dominated the first half by 2-0 goals. All the stadium gates remained open for the football fans free of cost.
Local striker Nabib Newaz Jiban opened the floodgate in the very 11th minute while Haitian forward Kervans Belfort doubled the margin in the 45+2 minute, medio Jewel Rana scored the 3rd goal in the 63rd minute, Nigerian Sunday Chizoba further widened the margin in the 75th and midfielder Mamunul Islam sealed the fate of the match in the stoppage time (90+5 minute).
In the day’s other Group E match, Chennaiyin FC played to 1-1 draw with their compatriot Minerva Punjab at the Indira Gandhi Stadium in Guwahati, India.
Samuel Lalmuanpuia scored for Minerva Punjab in the 62nd minute while Mohammad Rafi levelled the margin for Chennaiyin FC in the 90th minute.
With the day’s feat, Dhaka Abahani Limited topped the group list securing 10 points from five matches with three wins, one draw and one loss while win-less Manang Marshyangdi Club of Nepal remained at the bottom in the four-team group with their previous credit of two points from five matches with two draws.
With the day’s draw, the Tamil Nadu-based former Indian Super League champions Channaiyin FC went down to the 2nd slot after Abahani collecting eight points from five matches with two wins, two draws and one loss while Indian I-League champions Minerva Punjab remained at the 3rd slot securing five points from as many matches with five draws.
Hosts Dhaka Abahani started dominating over their Nepali counterparts Manang Marshyangdi within the opening minute of the match with Sunday missing a close chance in the opening minute.
But Jiban did not miss the chance and opened the account for his side in the 11th minute with his right-footed shot from the left side of the box to the bottom left corner (1-0).
In the stoppage time of the first half (45+2), the Dhanmandi-based outfit got the second success when Kervens Belfort doubled the score (2-0).
The Haitian forward buried the ball with his left-footed shot from the centre of the box to the bottom right corner utilising a cross by Mohammad Nabib Newaz Jiban.
In the second half, Abahani made a series of attempt but all were denied by Nepali defenders.
But in the 63rd minute, Jewel Rana successfully broke the Nepali defence and widened the score with his left-footed shot from the centre of the box to the top left corner (3-0).
who was continuously trying to convert a goal, finally got the success in the 75th minute (4-0).
The Nigerian forward netted his second goal of the ongoing event from a difficult angle on the left to the bottom left corner.
Manang made some good attempts but failed to convert any goal.
However, in the stoppage time (90+5 minute), midfielder Mamunul Islam sealed the victory netting the fifth goal of the match (5-0).
Abhani took three replacements. Mamun Miah replaced Sohel Rana, Wali Faisal replaced Masih Saighani and Rubel Miya replaced Jewel Miya while touring Manang Marshyangdi also took three replacements in the game.
The game saw Saheed Oluwasgina Azeez of Manang Marshyangdi getting one yellow card in the 60th minute of the match.
In the remaining group match, Abahani Limited will play Minerva Punjab on June 26 at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar in India while Manang Marshyangdi will host Chennaiyin FC at ANFA Complex in Kathmandu on the same day.
In their last matches on May 15, Dhaka Abahani Limited defeated Chennaiyin FC by 3-2 goals at the Bangabandhu National Stadium keeping the hope alive to be the group champion while Manang Marshyangdi played to a 1-1 draw with Minerva Punjab at ANFA Complex in Kathmandu.
Dhaka Anahani started the AFC Cup campaign beating Manang Marshyangdi Club by 1-0 goal in their first match in Kathmandu on April 3, but played to 2-2 draw with Minerva Punjab in their second match in Dhaka on April 17.
Dhaka Abahani Limited conceded a 0-1 defeat against Chennaiyin FC in their third match at the Arena Stadium in Ahmedabad on April 30 while Manang Marshyangdi conceded a 0-2 defeat to Chennaiyin FC in the second match on April 17 at the Arena Stadium in Ahmedabad and played to 2-2 draw with Minerva Punjab in their third match at Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar on May 1.
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- Law minister doesn’t consider Priya’s statement as seditious offence
- BJP politician downs Darwin’s theory of evolution
- No action to be taken hastily against Priya Saha: Quader
- 7 including 4 cops killed in dual blast in Pakistan
- WhatsApp: Security & privacy
- Tractor rams motorcyclist in Dinajpur
- Fire at Banani multi-storey building again
- Eating burger links chronic diseases!
- Hammerhead shark found first-ever
- Court denies bail for Minni
- Drug peddler killed in Teknaf gunfight
- 28 killed in N. Afghanistan airstrike
- Heatwave in U.S. kills 6
- Rain likely to increase in next 72 hrs
- Bail hearing for Minni today
- Death toll hits 15 in Chinese gas plant explosion
- 2 sedition cases filed against Priya Saha
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Not only diplomacy but economic issues should also be emphasised
- Over 22,000 rally in Moscow for fair polls
- Today’s sports on TV
- Zimbabwe not taking part Bangladesh T20 tri-series
- Hong Kong actor Simon Yam stabbed on stage in China
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- HM Ershad passes away
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- PM urges DCs to be sincere for accelerated development
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur